AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Quality 3D view - Autocad Map 3D 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bolduc.steph
3280 Views, 3 Replies

Poor Quality 3D view - Autocad Map 3D 2014

I am in the process of choosing an adequate piece of software that will deal GIS and BIM data respectively.  I have been using Infraworks 2014, but have been recently testing Autocad Maps 3D 2014.  When viewing data in 2D everything looks great, but as soon as 3D in toggled on, everything becomes extremely pixelated.  The reason I have been looking into the option of using Maps 3D is for it's drafting and modeling features, which Infraworks does not support.  I've tried the "3dconfig" command, and updated my driver, but still get the same results.  My dilema is one software handles 3D data quite nicely, and one handles 2D nicely, but neither one does both.  If Maps 3D's 3D viewer worked as well as Infraworks I will have found the perfect software. Any suggestions leading to remediate the issue are greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
braudpat
in reply to: bolduc.steph

Hello

Unfortunetaly the 3D View of 2D/3D entities + Rasters with MAP 2008-2014 has/is always "bad" !

especially compared with AIM 2012/2013 now named InfraWorks 2014 ...

The display is bad and please don't try to print/plot !?

In the past (about 7/8 years ago) Autodesk had a product called (Envision) which was able to produce nice 3D views of 2D/3D vector entities + Rasters ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
bolduc.steph
in reply to: braudpat

Thanks for the heads up.  You'd think for a $5000+ program they would have the 3D working properly?  Especially when considering they have many other programs that deal with 3D really well > 3ds Max, Maya, Revit, Infraworks... Maybe they should think of dropping the "3D" and call it "Autocad Map", because the 3D is completetly useless. About the Envision program, any idea if there's a smiliar piece of software kicking around? 

Message 4 of 4
braudpat
in reply to: bolduc.steph

Hello from France

I totally agree with you ...

But the graphic display engine inside AutoCAD MAP or AutoCAD CIVIL, is of course the AutoCAD Heidi display technology ...This technology is good for general 2D/3D purposes !

Unfortunately it is not able to manage correctly 3D Entities (Surfaces, 3DFaces, etc : like 3D DTM) with ECW, SID, TIF+TFW "painted" on this 3D Entities and I don't speak about plotting/printing them !!!

So you have to switch to an other software ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost