AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordnance survey to Google earth

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nilesh33
477 Views, 5 Replies

Ordnance survey to Google earth

Hi Freinds,

I have ordnance survey (2D) in CAD format. I am using 'Civil 3D>>Planning & analysis tab' to assign co-odinate system and to import 'Google earth' images into the drawing.

I have assigned 'British National Grid (ORD SURV GB)' co-ordinate system to the Civil 3d drawing and imported Google earth images at some place.

There is difference of around 1-3m between 'Ordnance Surey' & Google image.  How to match these two co-ordinate systems ?

Any help would be appreciated.Smiley Indifferent

Thanks,

Nilesh

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
antoniovinci
in reply to: nilesh33

You are in the wrong place, sir: this is a Map forum, not a C3D one...

Message 3 of 6
nilesh33

Hi antoniovinci,

I know it is Map 3D forum, but my question is related to this forum.

For your info, if you change 'workspace' in civil 3d to 'planning and analysis' then you can use all map 3d commands.

Thanks,

Nilesh

Message 4 of 6
antoniovinci

nilesh33 wrote:

if you change 'workspace' in civil 3d

Ain't no Civil at all, but I trust you, sir...

Message 5 of 6
parkr4st

1-3 meters could be the best you will get trying to line up the photos to the coordinate system.  Do you have any ground based data to measure from?  The CS is presumed to be correct but without any ground based check you can't be absolutley sure.  The photos may not be geo-referenced any closer than 1-3 meters.

Do you want to draw features based on drawing over the photo or is the photo going to be used a a background in the map?  How close to want the photo to align?

dave

Message 6 of 6
neilyj666

I'd agree that 1-3 m is probably as good as you'll get with Google earth images. Any better would require a purchased aerial image that is correctly referenced with a decent resolution e.g. 25cm per pixel.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost