AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On AutoCAD to Geodatabase PostgreSQL / PostGIS

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cingo
1546 Views, 5 Replies

On AutoCAD to Geodatabase PostgreSQL / PostGIS

Hello

I am new into GIS/RS.
1. I have a few hundred small (500 polygons each) AutoCAD drawings (.dwg) that i need to geo-position and scale these CAD files using google map/satellite imagery as background reference layer; I need to do this task visually coz I do not have GPS data and the files are not georeferenced.
2. Then I would need to push these georeferenced vectors directly to a geodatabase like PostgreSQL or any others. I would add few more data columns and values there. OR i can push to ESRI shape files and then shp to postgreSQL.

my questions are;

A. As this is in planning phase, I would like to know whether the above  are possible using Autocad Map 3D 2011/12 and/or thirdparty addons for Autocad?
B. Are there any other GIS based software that can handle CAD .dwg files and provide visual tools for base layers,
georeferencing the files and exporting tools for geodatabases?

Please suggest me brief guidelines for both questions.
Thanks for your time.

Regards
cingo

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Murph_Map
in reply to: cingo

1. Yes with some work, however getting Google Earth images may be a little tickey . For an alterative you can use OpenStreet, see here on using it.

2. Yes, ESRI can do it with some extra modules or there "may be" some open source that may be less costly.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 6
antoniovinci

cingo wrote:

I need to do this task visually coz the files are not georeferenced

Well, I can't believe that you got hundred of vector buildings NOT georeferenced: on which basis the author drafted them??

Please attach here one of those .DWG, we gotta have a look into it, sir.

Message 4 of 6
matTech

Why not connect directly to the postgis database using FDO? I've tried it a few times and it seems to work just as well as connecting to a shapefile.

Message 5 of 6
cingo
in reply to: antoniovinci

I have checked very properly, I have the vectors created from hand drafted pages that are not geo referenced.

hence i have to do it visually

Message 6 of 6
cingo
in reply to: matTech

@matTech wrote:

Why not connect directly to the postgis database using FDO? I've tried it a few times and it seems to work just as well as connecting to a shapefile.

I tried using FDO to PostGIS database, the db connection is created OK but

in Autocads' FDO , I cannot select any other database connection other than Oracle or ArcSDE

It is working with ArcSDE for now to a SQL Server 2008 database

Could you share your software versions and connection details when u tried  postgis database using FDO?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost