AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVERLAY POINT TOPOLOGY?!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ColNew
454 Views, 6 Replies

OVERLAY POINT TOPOLOGY?!

Dearest all,

I have two set of points with O.D. attached (points_1:data_1 and points_2:data_2). I want each point of the first set get the O.D. of the NEAREST point of the second set. Something like "point overlay". The problem is that AutoCAD Map can't overlay point topologies, and that makes sense, since entities don' t actually overlap. Any ideas, suggestions or improvisations would be much appreciated.

Colin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: ColNew

Try creating a buffer from one of the points set then do the overlay. The buffer distance is the hard part so that they only overlap one point and not two. How close together are the points?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 7
ColNew
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph,

distances and geometry are totally chaotic and each time different, depending on the project. Distances fluctuate from 15 metres to 3 kilometres Smiley Frustrated I will try the buffer thing, see if it works

Colin

Message 4 of 7
thepworth
in reply to: ColNew

quick thought - 

if you buffer a set of points and then intersect the buffer polygons with the second set of points, can you count the number of resulting points within each buffer polygon and stylize those with more than 1 point for "manual matching"  at least you'd get a little further along...

Message 5 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: thepworth

mapcgdist ; base option   can be used of you have a small number of set 1 points to relate the set b points and time to do some manual trial and error

given the point sets  A1 >>Ax  and B1 >>Bx in a 2D setting each point has x,y, in 3d x,y,z

2D - Radiating lines from any A to B1 >> Bx could be queried for the shortest line radiating from each A point

each point has x,y so each radii is the hypotenuse of a right triangle a1 x,y to b1 x,y; b2 x,y; bx x,y, etc

I threw up 3 a points and a bunch of random b points on two layers and output each set to sdf with x & y.  put the sdf x,y data  into an excel sheet and calclated the radii. a query can find the shorth radii for each "a" point

3d means a bit more complicated math.

dave

Message 6 of 7
thepworth
in reply to: parkr4st

Say, if this is someting going back towards Softdesk  / LDD points (or possibly Eaglepoint), it just occurs to me that if the text is all rotated around the points, the text objects should be held at a constant distance, just not in same orientation.  Therefore, it would probably be more successful to look at a "donut" versus a circular distance.  

Best of Luck!

Message 7 of 7
ColNew
in reply to: parkr4st

That's an unconventional yet brilliant point of view! However it doesnt overcome the manual part, which is a pain. Thank you all for your kind contribution, if I get a brainstorm with a does-it-all-in-5-seconds solution, I will post it here. Other suggestions are welcome,too.

Colin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost