AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map3D Surface Importing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kt_akel
814 Views, 4 Replies

Map3D Surface Importing

Hi all,

So this is a follow up to a question I have previously posted.  I have updated my machine to a 6 GB Windows 7 machine, but still am having the same issue with the surface importing.  I am able to generate the surface; however, when I attempt to "Add to Map," Map 3D 2012 crashes.  It took my 48 hours and almost 100 GB to manage this LiDAR data, but to not be able to import it seems to put me in a helpless situation.  Any recommendations as to more efficiently import that surface, or is 6 GB futile to the mass that is a 3D surface?

Best Regards,

Kevin 

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: kt_akel

Try to simplify your point cloud: I use the opensoruce Meshlab to do this...

Message 3 of 5
kt_akel
in reply to: antoniovinci

After you expedite the point cloud, what do you see as the best way to generate the surface, and more importantly, add the surface to the map.  My surface was over 80 GB.  Is this normal?

Message 4 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: kt_akel

I am testing the trial version of Map2012 since only a week, so I may tell you that:

1] from a point cloud, Map2012 generates just contours, which you can save as .SDF file

2] you must have Civil3D to make a TIN surface from that .SDF

I'm used to manage point clouds in Meshlab (tool made in Italy, I say proudly..), where I also generate the mesh, then I export it in .U3D format to Acrobat 8.1 Pro, which makes beautiful PDF_3D - see the attached interactive file.
Message 5 of 5
kt_akel
in reply to: antoniovinci

wow pdf maker does do an excellent job.  and map2010 can make contours as well, once the surface is generated and imported as either a geotiff or and ESRI asc file.  once you import either of those files as a raster, you simply right click and click on generate contours.  where I run into the snag is the importing of the raster.  the image file is so big that it seems either CAD or my computer cannot handle it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost