AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map3D Partial Export

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kcasperson
501 Views, 4 Replies

Map3D Partial Export

Hey everyone,

I work for an electric utility, where we have been working on rolling out a completed GIS system, though currently most of our map and GIS data is being run through Map3D. We have aerial layers, roads, shoreline, poles and primary line GPSed for most of our service area, so the map is coming together fairly nicely. The problem, however, is that currently for one of our contractors, we need to export only a small portion of the map, the chunk showing a particular subdivision, WITHOUT exporting the rest of the map entirely. 

Is there a way to do this, or failing that, import only a portion of the primary line layer to a separate drawing while retaining the line styling and the like? There is a way to bring over the portions within a particular polygon, but none of the layer qualities are imported along with it, so I'm hoping to find a way to do the partial export from the main map.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
kcasperson
in reply to: kcasperson

Bump, please

Message 3 of 5
gluckett
in reply to: kcasperson

If your data is all classic AutoCAD Map DWG files with Object Data, Block Attributes and Link Templates, then you can attach you DWGs to your new Project DWG, use LOCATION in the Query to window the features you wish.

Detach the files and save the resulting DWG.

Alternatively, if your data is SHP, SDF, SQL Server (FDO basically), select all your layers and do a Query To Filter Features and choose an area to filter the area you wish to filter on.

Right-click on each layer and save as an SDF- this will only grab the data that is filtered in the area you wish.

And share all the resulting SDF files.

So it depends if your source data is FDO or DWG based on how you proceed.

gordon

Message 4 of 5
rominap12
in reply to: gluckett

@gluckett wrote:

If your data is all classic AutoCAD Map DWG files with Object Data, Block Attributes and Link Templates, then you can attach you DWGs to your new Project DWG, use LOCATION in the Query to window the features you wish.

Detach the files and save the resulting DWG.

Alternatively, if your data is SHP, SDF, SQL Server (FDO basically), select all your layers and do a Query To Filter Features and choose an area to filter the area you wish to filter on.

Right-click on each layer and save as an SDF- this will only grab the data that is filtered in the area you wish.

And share all the resulting SDF files.

So it depends if your source data is FDO or DWG based on how you proceed.

gordon

Hi people

I have basically the same problem.

My data source is FDO (SQL Server) and need export a partial view of the drawing but in *.dwg format and the object data. I tried with "maptoacad" and do not work because the objects become simple entities without internal information.  I was too tried the command"mapexportcurrentmaptodwg" and then the pc do not let me work, becomes so slow.

Please, if you know how do that help me.Cat Embarassed

Regards

Romi

Message 5 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: rominap12

Hi,

>> need export a partial view of the drawing but in *.dwg format

>> [...]

>> do not work because the objects become simple entities without internal information

Exporting data to DWG just exports the geometry (because the attributive data is on the SQL server and not in the drawing)

So the question is now: what do you want to do with that DWG file? What is the workflow now, does anyone need the geometry or the attributive data or both, does that other one have access to your SQL-server? Do you just export the data (export and forget) or do you get the data back with modifications and is then a synchronization needed between your server data and the new data within the DWG?

There are chances to save the attributice data as object data or XDATA (as you find in the MAPTOACAD dialog) and options like save the data as SHP or SDF ... but what is the best for your workflow? I don't know as I currently don't have any info about what's going on with the data.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost