AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map3D 2014 Sql Server Direct Connect

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bozeman_engineering
2639 Views, 9 Replies

Map3D 2014 Sql Server Direct Connect

In map3D 2014 there is not an option to 'Add SQL Server Connection' in the 'Data Connections By Provider' list.  I need to establish direct connection to SQL Server to bring in features from this data source.  Is this even possible in Map 2014?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

If the SQL table contains Spatial features use the SQLSpatial Server connection, if its just data with no geometry then create an ODBC connection.

sql_connections.png

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 10

Let me be more specific and my apologies for being a newb with this.

Our system runs SDE 9.3.1 on a server box running Windows Server '03 x64 and SQL Server '05 x64 (v 9.0.5057).  My client workstation runs Windows 7 x64 with ArcMap 10.1 and Map3D/Civil3D 2014.  My ArcMap 10.1 SDE data connection is a direct connection and does not use SDE services running on the server.  No troubles with the 10.1 SDE connection.  I am unsure if there are .DLLs present on the server box in this configuration.  Maybe that’s the issue?

I've followed the Map3D '14 help to establish a direct connection to SDE.  I have copied the following DLLs to the Map3D bin/FDO directory.  As far as I know these are all 64 bit libraries.

gsrvrsql93.dll (v 9.3.1.2784)

icudt22l.dll (v: none listed in file properties details)

icuuc22.dll (v 2.2.0.0)

pe.dll (v 9.3.1.2784)

sde.dll (v 9.3.1.2784)

sdesqlsrvr93.dll (v 9.3.1.2784)

sg.dll (v 9.3.1.2784)

xerces-c_2_7.dll (v 2.7.0.0)

In the Map3D '14 SDE Connection dialogue, I can login to the server just fine.  The failure occurs when I try to connect to the Data Store.  The log file reads:

Failed to open ArcSDE connection

Server library could not be loaded (-324)

There is nothing in CAD forums helpful for the (-324) error log.  Thoughts?

Message 4 of 10

Having Arcgis 10.1 on the desktop and connecting to a 9.3.1 server could potentially be part of your problem, but you should still be able to make it work. It sounds like you are trying to make a three-tier, application service connection to the sde service, try making a direct connection to the database. You should be able to do it using the FDO ArcSDE connection and for the instance name instead of port number, use sde:sqlserver:yoursqlservername. You can also use the FDO SQL Server Spatial provider and enter your server name as the Service name then select your database from the list provided.

Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the reply, Gary.  ArcMap 10.1 direct connects just fine.  I've been trying to establish a direct connection in Map 2014 to the database, hence all the DLLs listed in previous post.  It will not work.  I can connect to the database server using sde:sqlserver:<servername>, but cannot establish connection to the data store.

The FDO SQL Server Spatial provider is not working either.  It connects to the server just fine and populates a list of data stores in drop down box but I cannot see the feature data classes in the data store.  I can't for the life of me figure this out.

Message 6 of 10

Sounds a lot like database permissions might be the problem.

Message 7 of 10

I'm leaning towards compatibility issue with Map3D 2014 64 bit. I hopped on a co-workers workstation who has 32 bit C3D 2013 installed on an XP SP3 OS. The 'ArcGIS' connection provider worked without a hitch. Then I tested the 'ArcSDE' connection provider and it magically worked too. I thought this was odd b/c there are no ESRI DLLs in the bin/FDO directory on that workstation.

Restarted the machine and went to re-establish connections exactly as i had done 5 minutes earlier. The ArcGIS connection worked just the same. The ArcSDE connection failed to find a .dll and would not connect. I can't make heads or tails of that.
Message 8 of 10

Here is where to get the 64 bit dlls for your 9.3 server. http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/66/metaid/1578 The name of the file to download is sde931sp1-sqlserver-64.msp under the Windows section. Next use these instructions to extract all the dlls for the direct connect and place them in the FDO|BIN folder.. http://totalcad.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/finding-and-extracting-the-64-bit-sde-dlls/

Message 9 of 10

Thanks JJ for the reply, but i've been there, don't that. It does not work. We do not run SDE as a service on our SqlServer box. We connect directly to SQL, so there are additional .dll's needed to make a direct connect happen, according to C3D Help anyway. Trouble is, you cannot get all the DLLs needed in 64 bit. I have wasted far too many hours trying to make this work. Until Autodesk and ESRI start playing more nicely with one another, or a 3rd party dev team tackles the issue, I think we're all out of luck getting 64 bt 2014 C3D/Map to connect to ArcSDE 9.3.1 data stores. Just my $0.02............
Message 10 of 10

We have got a new user join the team. So we setup up his pc as we normally would, but for some starnge reason it pops up the message " Failed to open ArcSDE connection" when he tries to import GIS data. I have tried to login as an administrator, copy the profile from a different pc, got IT to build him a new pc, still no joy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost