AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map is projected

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
471 Views, 5 Replies

Map is projected

So, today I get some new data, from some GIS people, that they converted to CAD, but the map was projected (looks like a bird's eye view - 90 degree angles show up at 77degrees).  I spoke to one of the GIS folks who gave me the data but apparently he can't figure out how to change the projection either (MAP 3D 2011;he's working in 2010).  It seems like what I would like to do is to move from a geodetic coordinate system to a cartographic coordinate system.  Does that seem right?

I would attach an image of my situation if map weren't "not responding" as usual.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Murph_Map
in reply to: Anonymous

USC set to World, plan to World. Sounds like its off in the dwg. Was North set correct when they exported  it to DWG?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I don't know exactly.  He said on the phone last night that the drawing was 'projected'.  It looks like flying in Google Earth.  Today he says it is a 'real life' view and the town is not oriented at 90 degrees - not likely - rural parcels are square in Canada. He says I should try dview and twist, which I will.  But if you look at the attached pdf's (one is the new data, the other is CAD file left over from 2005) you see that the same data is displayed very differently.

Message 4 of 6
Sinc

I agree, it looks funky.  Do you have any idea what he projected it from and to (i.e. the source and destination coordinate systems he used for his projection)?

Sinc
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

No idea.  I sent those PDFs to them, so hopefully someone will figure it out.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

The GIS guys say the maps were projected in LAT and LONG, but now they have sent them to me in UTM coordinates and they are fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost