AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
KansasCAD
Message 1 of 3 (212 Views)

Map feature annotation

212 Views, 2 Replies
07-03-2012 11:14 AM

Hello,

I have centerline data from SHP file that I can either import or attach to.  Has a few lines of object data with it including a centerline of road name.  Each one unique.  When I attach to the data, I can then "join" with it additional data from a database.  When I select a line and look at the properties, it contains both the original object data AND the additional data from the database.  SO far So good.

When I edit the style and try to add feature labels only part of the labels come in.  I end up with a lot of them with only the letters "text" or just not there.  If I right-click on the line and select "Show Data Table" I can confirm that there is data for that label.  I find nothing in common with the map features that have labels, or don't have labels.  Kind of random.

Question: If I import the SHP file and create object data I need to know if there is a way to "ADD" the rest of my data that is in the database to this object data.  If so then I think I could define a Template and label each piece with the block with attributes.  Is this possible?  OR

Is it possible for me to export to a new SHP file after I have connected to the data (both shp file and database).

Thanks,

Daryl

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 3 (209 Views)

Re: Map feature annotation

07-03-2012 12:27 PM in reply to: KansasCAD

KansasCAD wrote:

Is it possible for me to export to a new SHP file after I have connected to the data (both shp file and database).

Of course, by means of _MAPEXPORT command, paying attention to check all the attributes you wanna export to.

Distinguished Contributor
nwray
Message 3 of 3 (187 Views)

Re: Map feature annotation

07-05-2012 04:31 PM in reply to: KansasCAD

I assumne you connected the imported shapefile to the other database using the link table options and the _MAPOD2ASE command.  If so, like Antonio said, you can _MAPEXPORT and set your object data to use the linked table information for the new shapefile.  

One potential warning: on my system (Map3D 2010 on Windows 7 64 bit with 16 GB RAM), it takes a very long time to run the mapexport with linked data.  I just ran an export a few days ago with about 40,000 parcels, all with linked data, and it took about 26 hours to complete.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community