AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map 3D 2015 CS Assign

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Gary_Braun
1123 Views, 9 Replies

Map 3D 2015 CS Assign

I'm having difficulty assigning coordinate systems in Map 2015. I'd like to change the CS assigned to a drawing, so I use the MAPCSASSIGN command and then find my desired projection, but when I hit "Assign" the coordinate system now says <none> and I have a warning message that states "Cannot save projection code to the drawing".

If I open the same drawings in Map 2014 on the same machine, then I can assign the CS just fine, and Map 2015 will recognize it afterwards, but I should be able to do this in 2015. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA.

Gary

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

what CS did you try to assign?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10

I was trying to assign CSRS.UTM-10N (EPSG 3157), but in response to your reply I also tried several others, including LL-CSRS, CSRS.BC/Albers and NAD27-10, and they all failed to assign to the drawing, with the same error message as before. Interestingly though, I also tried to assign UTM83-10 to the drawing and it worked, as did NAD83.CanLam.2. So maybe there's something more to it.

Message 4 of 10

Hi,

look to that file:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Geospatial Coordinate Systems 14.01\Canada\ReadMe.txt

and follow it's instructions. I hope that is valid for your list of CSRS.

At least if it worked for your 2014 release, I guess you have done that steps already for 2014 within that folder:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Geospatial Coordinate Systems 14.00\Canada

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 10

Well that wasn't quite it Alfred, but close enough to resolve it.

In Map 2014 I had already set the geodetic transformations to use our custom grid shift files. After installing Map 2015 I went in to set them up there and saw that the "Grid Data File Interpolation" seemed to be pointing to the right file already, so assumed that Map had done the work for me of updating itself from the 2014 installation. When I looked more closely though, I noticed that it was referencing the right file name, but it was looking in the "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Geospatial Coordinate Systems 14.01" path, so it was basically looking for the right file in the wrong place. As soon as I copied the gridshift file into the .\14.01\ path it all began working.

I guess this is partially my fault for being a bit too trusting, but it seems odd that Map would update the grid data interpolation file name information, but not worry about the path to the actual file. Or alternatively, if it's going to insist on the updated path thenit should copy the files over at the same time. Instead I got partial information which ended up being misleading.

Oh well, fixed easily enough I suppose. Thanks Alfred

Message 6 of 10
kirill.zavalko
in reply to: Gary_Braun

I am having the similar issue, although the Coordinate System I am trying to assign is ATS77 Nova Scotia, Zone 5 (code: NovaScotia77-5). When I open a blank drawing in Map 3D 2015 and try to assign this coordinate system, I get the same error message ("Cannot save projection code to the drawing"). 

If I open the same drawings in Map 2014 on the same machine, then it assigns just fine. 

Any ideas how to fix that in Map 2015? 

Message 7 of 10
Gary_Braun
in reply to: kirill.zavalko

Kirill,

Autocad needs to know where your gridshift  (.gsb) files are. We use custom gridshift files, but you might be using NTV2_0.gsb. Either way, make sure your files are in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Geospatial Coordinate Systems 14.01\Canada folder, then in Map go to your coordinate system library and find the geodetic transformation your trying to configure, hit Edit and select Grid Data File Interpolation. I usually delete everything already in there and then add back the file I want.

This was the fix in my case, if your situation is different then we might need more information in order to be able to help you out.

Message 8 of 10
kirill.zavalko

Gary:

My case is a bit different, I don't need any geodetic transformations , I am simply trying to assign the coordinate system to a blank drawing in order to get Geolocation going (I have a surface created from LIDAR data in ATS77 CS which I am x-referencing to this blank drawing). The problem is that if I do that in Civil 3d 2014 or Map 3D 2014 - it all works just fine - no problems at all. However when I switch to Civil 3d 2015 / Map 3D 2015 the systems simply fails to recognize the "Nova Scotia, Zone 5, ATS 77 System" CS at all. When I change the CS to ATS77 in the drawing settings In Civil 3d 2015 - it reverts the changes back to "No datum, no projection", in Map 3d 2015 i get the following message: "Cannot save projection code to the drawing". 

Message 9 of 10
Gary_Braun
in reply to: kirill.zavalko

1. Run GEOREMOVE to remove any ACAD CS assignment.
2. Run MAPCSASSIGN and assign your coord sys.
Message 10 of 10
kirill.zavalko

Gary:

I have just tried that, didn't work

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost