I was hoping to figure out how to save & reuse .layer files in multiple drawings without having to re-style them each time they're needed in other drawings. I tried both ways of saving a layer out:
1) Export layer data to .sdf:
- once saving this file out, I drag & drop it back into my display manager of another drawing
- the query filter for the specific locations I needed came through correct, but no styles came with it
(symbol, color, size, line thickness)
Isn't the whole purpose of exporting these settings so that I don't need to re-style each time?
What am i doing wrong?
2) Save layer:
- once saving this file out, I select data, load layer & then pick my .layer file
- the layer shows in the display manager with the correct styling but... the progress bar showing the state of the
layer being added has been saying 'initializing layer...' for quite some time now. It would probably do this all day
long if I let it.
Even though the layer displays in the display manager, it doesn't display in the model space on my map.
What can I do to make either of these options work?
in help search for layer_file_save, layer_file_drag videoos and save & load layer file
what you are doing is saving a *.layer file which holds the styling information to use when a particular data connected FDO file is wanted for reuse. When you d&d the .layer into the map its reloads teh FDO file with the styling saved in the .layer file.
Go to file explorer and double click a .layer file so you can see what the file contains. It should help you understand the process.
You can create a .layer with one peice of data styled the way you want, d&d in into a map and then create a new feature on the layer which will inherit the style. You can then delete the original object and resave the FDO to a new name.
give it try and post your questions as they arise.
Thank you for the input. I ran through the videos to double-check the steps I took. I followed them just as the videos have shown.
So, I tried adding the layer into other drawings to see what would happen; if I d&d the layer into any pre-existing drawing, whether it includes Bing Map, SQL Server Spatial or SHP connections, it will not display the layer in the map.
I started a new drawing with nothing in it & d&d the layer file worked. I tried a few different scenarios to see if they worked:
1) new drawing with just bing map connection - d&d layer worked
2) new drawing with a SQL server spatial connection - d&d layer worked
3) new drawing with a SHP connection - d&d layer worked
It seems as though there may have been updates within the SQL server spatial that now allow this to work... I can't seem to figure out what else might be going on...
Let me know what you think.
Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register