AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Template does not appear

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
torentrue
845 Views, 7 Replies

Link Template does not appear

I have a client with AutoCAD Map 3D 2011 with an OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Data Source and a dbConnect link template connecting to the database.

Normally, when an object that is linked to the database via the link template is selected, the data from the linked table appears in the properties palette. Recently a change what made to the table (view) that the link template and the Link template no longer appears. The view was restored to its original state, but the link table still is not visible.

If the data source is disconnected via the task pane, the link template reappears (with only the key showing, of course). The data can still be seen via the link template "View Linked Table" context-sensitive menu in the task pane so the link still remains.

I have disconnected, deleted, and rebuilt the data source, but it has not helped and I cannot delete the link template as there are several thousand objects linked via the template.

Any help is appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: torentrue

torentrue wrote:
I cannot delete the link template as there are several thousand objects linked via the template.

In your shoes, I wouldn't try to repair anything, sir.
Rebuilding the links of some thousand objects is a matter of minutes, so my advice is: start over with a clean _ADEGENLINK

Message 3 of 8
torentrue
in reply to: antoniovinci

Antonio,

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you point me to some documentation that can help me rebuild this Link Template?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
antoniovinci

torentrue wrote:

Can you point me to some documentation that can help me rebuild this Link Template?

http://docs.autodesk.com/MAP/2012/ENU/filesMWG/GUID-C6EA7620-0D64-441D-8897-DF848B6A7598.htm

Message 5 of 8
torentrue
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks again. Before I try this, I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I have several drawings (10-15) with identical link templates. The drawings display the same behavior (If the data Source is connected, the LT_XXX information does not appear. If the Data source is NOT connected, the LT_XXXX apears with only the Key [as would be expected]) Nothing has been changed in the other drawings and they have only been opened to verify the occurance of the trouble. Thanks,
Message 6 of 8
antoniovinci

As already said, I would forget the old link template, starting over with a brand new one: make a _WBLOCK of the only geometry, ensure that every closed object has an unique ID drawn inside, and connect them to the database. 

Message 7 of 8
torentrue

As much as it pains me to report this, the whole problem was that the key in the database table (view) had been removed so the Link template had nothing to "Key" on. All is now right in the world.

Thanks for your help!

Message 8 of 8
antoniovinci

Without IDs drawn, there's only one way to link to the DB records, i.e. by means of the Object Data: what you see if you check the properties of a closed poly?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost