AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infrastructure Administrator / Infrastructure Web Server?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ltmullen
1204 Views, 6 Replies

Infrastructure Administrator / Infrastructure Web Server?

As I was searching through the Help in Map 3D I came across things that you can do in Infrastructure Administrator. At first I thought it was referring to something that was already part of Map 3D, but after reading a little more it seems like something that has to be installed separately.

After fishing around Autodesk's website for a little bit, I have to say I'm pretty darn confused about what exactly Infrastructure Administrator is and how to get it. Is it a separate product that you must purchase a license for, or is it a free add-on or something like that? Is it the same thing as Infrastructure Web Server (which is the closest thing I could find on the products page)? What all does Infrastructure Administator enable you to do (I know a little bit from what I've read, but curious to know more).

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: ltmullen

It's the old TopoBase administrator, it's allows you or the administrator of your data to create and administrate databases and tables used with the FDO schemas. If you are useing a database to store you features in there may be little use for a signle user.

It is part of Map3D and should be with the rest of the install files just a seperate install.  

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 7
hence_the_name

Hi,

from release 2013 onwards Map includes Infrastructure Administrator although you need to install it separately. But it is part of the DVD/Download. Previous to 2013 there were two products:

Map 2012 Enterprise (including Administrator) vs. (plain) Map

Topobase 2011,2010,.(including Administrator).. vs. (plain) Map 2011,2010

Topobase has always been build on top of Map. But with release 2013  Topobase and Map have been merged into one product just called "Map".

Same applies to MapGuide/AIMS. "Topobase Web" is now part of AIMS and called Infrastructure Extension (or something like that).  

Map comes with so called "Industry Models" comprising of:
- certain data models (either for Oracle, MS SQL or file based SQLLite)
- certain functionality within Map to work efficiently with your industry model data

Oracle and MS SQL are for multi-user environments. Therefore you have additional administrative tasks related to database and multi-user environment – partly done with Infrastructure Administrator.

Industry models included in Map are for: water, wastewater, electricity and further more. ADSK partners offer addiotional industry models. Administrator is  being used for setting up any industry model. You can easily create your own industry model with Infrastructure Administrator.

It is a really interesting product and has - specifically in Europe - a long history. But it is not easy to get started with and certainly complex.  

There a few case studies – as overview:
http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-map-3d/customers/

Good luck, Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 4 of 7
ltmullen
in reply to: hence_the_name

Thanks for the info, guys.

Any idea where the file to install it might be hiding on my computer? I looked around a bit and did some searches with some obvious keywords in the folder where Map 3D is installed on my computer but couldn't find anything.

(I have Map 3D 2014, by the way).

Message 5 of 7
hence_the_name

Hi,

you need to go to Windows 7 administrative panel > software, choose Map and run the installer to add missing components,

By default the program will be installed in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Infrastructure Administrator 2014

Good luck.

Message 6 of 7
ltmullen
in reply to: hence_the_name

Sorry for perhaps being dense, but I got to and opened the installer (did you mean Control Panel?) and still couldn't figure out how to add Infrastructure Administrator there. 

Message 7 of 7
hence_the_name

mh, I *thought* it would be via "add missing features" but as i just checked it's not the case. might be different on my side as i have already everything installed - but there is no screen which shows installed programs belonging to AC Map package.

Only other suggestion I have is to insert / start original dvd/donwload setup and see if that allows to add missing program.

Sorry for the confusion,

rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost