AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistencies in shp files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
TimSR
366 Views, 4 Replies

Inconsistencies in shp files

I have received shp files from a county source and am confused on the inconsistency of the Object Data. They sent me a piece of topo in a shp format and I used MAPIMPORT, then opened a new drawing, did a query, alter properties, picked the elevation, related it to the object data,  and all the contours have elevation, no problem.

They also have the zoning in shape files. However, using the same workflow as above, the object data is not there. If I use data connect and look at a property filter I can see the object data so I know in some way it is connected.

Does anyone know what causes the inconsistency between the shape files?

Also, can someone point me to a good tutorial on how to use the property filters? I would do it that way if I could figure out how to properly do a property filter.

Thanks, Tim

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MATRIX3DSURVEYS
in reply to: TimSR

Short answer; you need to import as closed polygons and convert to a topology. With to object data conneced to the nodes.

There is an article in the knowlege base under suport for Map about converting SHP files into topologies.

Jim

Message 3 of 5

MATRIX3DSURVEYS wrote:

convert to a topology

I don't concur in it, sir.
During _MAPIMPORT operation, the only thing to check is the following one:

Message 4 of 5
TimSR
in reply to: antoniovinci

Here is what I am talking about. I have discovered looking at the data I have that I have more than one version of each file on the CD's. So it makes for some interesting explanation. I'll try to add the pngs in order to explain the inconsistencies. What I want to know in the end is how to explain to the county what version of this I need so I can use object data. In other words, wht are they doing when writing these to make each one different?

Zoning_Empty_sort_of.png

So the above version has no Object Data.

Zoning_Good.png

This next version above shows the object data.

Zoning_Feat_ID_only-Selectable.png

In the above version, the FeatID is selectable. When you select it, you can see the other fields.

zoning_selection_boxes.png

And finally, this version makes every Target Field Selectable, not that it matters, because each box is just a downarrow with only the selection in it.

So what is causing the difference, and how do I explain to the provider how to write the data so I get Object Data that I can query? I just want to get this knowledge written down somewhere so I can always refer to it and get the version I need to begin with rather than run in circles.

Thanks for the help!

Tim

Message 5 of 5
phil_borycens
in reply to: TimSR

Hi Tim,

The screenshots are very small but it looks to me like your provider is providing some data with attributes and some without attributes. You'll need to make sure that they send you data with attributes if you want to use the intellegence behind the geometry.

Phil Borycens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost