AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing .dwg file to archGIS map with assigned Coordinates...HOW TO!!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
659 Views, 3 Replies

Importing .dwg file to archGIS map with assigned Coordinates...HOW TO!!

Hi...again. Wondering if there was any further expertise on this....

Im attempting to import a .dwg drawing into an ESRI arhgis file that has assigned coordinates.  The .dwg data displays but not spatially correct.

I have been advised that the .dwg file has an assigned coordinate system (though not convinced). No co-ord sys displays when I view the .dwg file in Autocad (Map3D 2009) (looking under 'Menu Browser' >'Analyse'). 

Is there a way that I can:

(1) Confirm conclusively whether there is a co-ord system assigned to the .dwg file and if so ensure that it imports spatially correct?

(2) Export/modify/configure the .dwg file to ensure its co-ord system match the receiving archgis file co-ords?

Otherwise, I am assuming that where no co-ords exist, its a case of spatially adjusting the .dwg file in arch gis after import?

Thanks

A. Planner

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ericcollins6932
in reply to: Anonymous

If you know the coord system of the .dwg, put in a correctly-configured .prj file with the same name in the same folder. Arc will then force the coord system of the drawing to the .prj

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have AutoCAD Map3D or Civil3D you can open the dwg and use the MAPCSASSIGN command to see if a CS is assigned to the dwg. Aslo ID a point and see what the coordinates are for it. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: Murph_Map

I concur with Murph: please paste here a X,Y pair somewhere at the drawing center, sir.

Another way to check the current CRS is the _ADESETCRDSYS command.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost