AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to georeference a .shp from a .dwg non georeferenced?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
remyyyT
1457 Views, 7 Replies

How to georeference a .shp from a .dwg non georeferenced?

Hi,

I'm new in Autocad Map 3D (and Autocad also). I have a .dwg non georefenced and I'm able to have the longitude/latitude of several points of this .dwg. I work with the trial version of Autocad Map 3D 2011. My aim is to get .shp georeferenced.

For the moment, I assigned a coordinate system (LL84) to the .dwg. After that, I don't really know how to georeference my .dwg with the latitudes/longitudes that I know.

To convert .dwg to .shp, I think it's ok. I already did some tests (.dwg->.sdf->.shp). My problem is georeferencing.

I will greatly appreciate any help.   Thanks

Remy

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tjmapper
in reply to: remyyyT

You can find the button or use the command 'MAPCSASSIGN' to assign a coordinate system to your DWG. When converting from DWG to SDF or SHP you can define what coordinate system you are exporting it too on the 3rd tab of the export dialogue.

When you add something from an FDO connection it will automatically assign the coordinate system or the source if the drawing does not already have one defined.

Message 3 of 8
remyyyT
in reply to: tjmapper

Thanks for your answer. Nevertheless, I have no problem to assign a coordinate system to my .dwg.

My problem is to georeference my .dwg with several points for which I know their longitutde/latitude.

Message 4 of 8
tjmapper

So you just want to insert your points using Lat/Long in the LL84 coordinate system?

or you have a set of shapes/points (parcels, survey points) your trying to move to those coordinates??

If you are inserting points at a Lat/Long and your drawing is in LL84, all you have to do is set your insertion point to your Lat/Long. 'POINT' command then type '-84.23165,36.564984' (your coordinates)

if you are trying to move a set of shapes/pointes to certain coordinates you can move them using a known basepoint to the proper coordinates. If it doesn't fit there is a rubbersheet command.

Is it a drawing you received and are trying to assign coordinates too? Or something your making from scratch?

Sorry for a the vague response, but there are a lot of details needed to answer a question that has 100 answers.

Message 5 of 8
remyyyT

Sorry for my vague question. I can try to detail.

I received a .dwg which represents a "little city". This .dwg is not georeferenced and for my application I need .shp georeferenced of this .dwg.

I assigned the .dwg to the LL84 system coordinates. But for the moment when I use the track coordinates for example, my top of my .dwg is X around 59000000 and Y around 13000000. So, II would like that this top point be X around 48,7 and Y around 2,2 (because I know that this point have longitude 48,7 and latitude 2,2).

In fact I would like associate the real longitude/latitude of several points (instead of the original coordinates kind of X -> 59000000 and Y -> 13000000). To my mind, this operation would permit to georeference my .dwg. Maybe it's a mistake.

I hope to be clearer..

Message 6 of 8
tjmapper

That's exactly the information needed to asnwer your question.

Unfortunatly you probably won't like the answer.

It sounds like the drawing you were given was drawn in a coordinate system that was not translated to the DWG. So you have more than just XY problems. The scale is probably way off. So unless you can find out what coordinate system it was drawn in, the best hope you have is using the rubbersheet tool.

Here is a link to a video on how to rubber sheet.

http://docs.autodesk.com/MAP/2013/ENU/index.html?query=georeference

That is all that I would know to do, but maybe someone else can give you better answer if there is one.

Message 7 of 8
remyyyT

Thank you for your quick response

Message 8 of 8
parkr4st

other stuff to try that may help

find a geo-referenced aerial photo or topo map of the site and put you points over that.  Lets you know if you are "reasonable in you location".  You may spot some of your points in the photo ie road intersections, manhole covers, fire hydrants, etc that you can tie your points to increasing the accuracy of your data location.

GPS or other point data gathered on the site on the ground are even better as it will allow better precision.

The other thing to keep in mnd is the needed accuracy and precision for the project.  close may be good enough, within a m better, within a cm even better or necessary.

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost