AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Import shape files in MAP3D (with an import profile template)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
archaeoman
5111 Views, 5 Replies

How to Import shape files in MAP3D (with an import profile template)

Greetings everyone,

I am a new member of this forum, however I have been reading the posts for some time.

I am an archaeologist working with survey equipment and Map3D for a few years but now I have the following problem.

When I import the shapefiles created in my leica/topcon equipment into Map3D (mapimport) there is the possibility to select which attributes are going to be imported with an import profile file (.ipf).

How do I create the above and save it so that I do not have to go through the same process again?

Thank you for your help and I hope you can help me

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
parkr4st
in reply to: archaeoman

I understand you want to save the .ipf file.  correct?  If not details.

In the mapimport settings window lower left there are save and load buttons for that purpose.

dave

Message 3 of 6

Hi,

>> How do I create the above and save it

May be I don't understand all correct, but in the same dialog (MAPIMPORT ==> second tab) you have the choice of saving the settings into a profile (IPF) and left besided of that button you can load these settings from a saved file.

As you have found how to save the settings to IPF I'm just wondering that you have not found the load-button ... or I misunderstood something.

If the question is how to write an IPF-file without using the MAPIMPORT-dialog ==> create one sample file during one start of MAPIMPORT-command and do some settings to get a master-/sample-file, and then open it with an ASCII-editor like notepad, it's just a XML-like file (but I don't know any documenation on that, and to be honest, not searched for that).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 6
archaeoman
in reply to: parkr4st

Thank you for the quick reply.

I think my eye has been ignoring the save button. The above solutions work for the imported shape files into map3d.

If I want to amend an existng .ipf file can I do it through the same process. There is a load, save button but not an apend button.

In effect I want to add the selected attributes to my existing ipf profile when I import a new shape file and not start from scratch.

Can this be done?

Message 5 of 6

Hi,

>> There is a load, save button but not an apend button.

Start the _MAPIMPORT command, then use the load button to get the existing profile loaded. Now you can select additional attributes (or remove some of the ones you used previously) by selecting/unselecting them in the data-column. After you have done that changes ... click onto the save button and create a new IPF for the future.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 6

Excellent and thank you for your help. It was amazing how quickly everyone responded.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost