AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add a direction arrow to polyline features in a SHP file?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
MikeKitchen5860
7111 Views, 6 Replies

How do I add a direction arrow to polyline features in a SHP file?

I can't fathom why this is so difficult in Map 3D or why very few few people have complained. I need the features shown in a connected SHP file to display an arrow indicating their direction (i.e. -----> or ----->-----). This seem that it would be important to anyone using Map for municipal engineering (sewers tend to be directional!), drainage (so are culverts!), etc... But I can't figure out how to do this, and I haven't found anything in the forums so far that tells me how to do this. The difficulty in doing this simple task is just adding to my hatred of Map (especially given the amount of money I've spent on Autodesk products)!

If I'm missing something, please, someone direct me to what that is.

Michael A. Kitchen, P.Eng.

Osprey Engineering Inc.

using Civil 3D 2011

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Generally this is achieved using a linetype.  For example:

*Flow,Flow Linetype __________ >
A,6,-2,[">",STANDARD,S=1.8,U=0.0,X=-1,Y=-0.9],-2

That would be added to your acad.lin file

Regards,
Anthony
Message 3 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: MikeKitchen5860

You can do that in MAP3D with the connected shp files as long as you 1. Enable Enanced Styles, 2. Save the connected layer to a layer file, 3. edit the layer file (xml format) and add the directional arrows to the line type. 4. Reload the layer.

http://map3d.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/custom-line-types-with-data-connect/

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 7

I see. This is a bit more difficult than in other GIS packages (ArcEditor never required registry edits to add arrows to lines!). Does anyone know if AutoDesk is going to make line formatting a bit easier in the future?

Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

Mike

Message 5 of 7

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Regards,
Anthony
Message 6 of 7
Murph_Map

@MikeKitchen5860 wrote:

I see. This is a bit more difficult than in other GIS packages (ArcEditor never required registry edits to add arrows to lines!). Does anyone know if AutoDesk is going to make line formatting a bit easier in the future?

Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

Mike

It's been on the wish list for the past 4 years, I personally told the map product team we need an nice graphical user interface for this.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 7
tjmapper

http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-map-3d/features/

First new feature is enhanced styling for Map 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost