AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Adding Data to a Feature Data Table

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MARKSCHRODER5765
856 Views, 7 Replies

Help Adding Data to a Feature Data Table

Is it possible to add data to a feature data table?  Example: The shape file data downloaded from NRCS only has the Soil number for the State.  As I check out features I would like to add data for the soil name, soil group, etc. as additional columns in the data table and have it available in the future by checking the feature back in to my local information.

Thanks,

Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

@MARKSCHRODER5765 wrote:

Is it possible to add data to a feature data table?  Example: The shape file data downloaded from NRCS only has the Soil number for the State.  As I check out features I would like to add data for the soil name, soil group, etc. as additional columns in the data table and have it available in the future by checking the feature back in to my local information.

Thanks,

Mark

No., not directly. You have two options. Import the shp file creating OD, then edit the OD Table adding the column and exporting back to shp format. Option 2 is create a new schema create the columns you want then bulk copy the shp feature to the new schema. The first option may be the easier of the two.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 8

Mark,

Sideways question, but what is your Operating System - Win7 64Bit or a 32Bit version? 

What I've done in the past is to download the spatial + tabular data from NRCS.  Then if you create an ODBC connection to the database from the NRCS, you can perform a spatial join on the soil map unit key and look for the MUGATT table - it has all soil properties combined.  I'll use the joined data for thematic mapping for drainage maps, etc.  To simplify things, I've coverted the joined shp/odbc into a .SDF for the map units in WY/CO/NE for my personal use.  the NRCS has their data structure/relationships burried on the website, but it is there.

update if you need more info and I might dig to see if I have documentation on what I've done....

Regards!

TdH

Message 4 of 8
svucic
in reply to: MARKSCHRODER5765

I know this post is very old but as I can't find any useful information online I'm taking any chance I get to figure this out.

I have a lisp routine that collects some data from a dwg that I would like to use to populate a SDF feature data table in Map 3D. I managed to write the lisp so it adds all closed polylines(parcels) to a list, extracts parcel numbers for every parcel and so on. It also takes every parcels and creates a new featrue from object in the data table. But the table remains empty because I cant figure out how to write to the data tabel. I was told here that there is no autolisp API for newer Map 3D functions. 

So I'm exporting all the data I collect to a txt file and than to excel to organize the columns and rows nicely. I was hoping to then just copy/paste the date from excel into the data table but apparently that's not possible either.

I know 2012 is way back and maybe a lot changed. I still hope you guys can enlight me a little bit about the methods mentioned above or perhaps have some new ideas.

Message 5 of 8
luc.vanlinden
in reply to: svucic

Hi

Indeed there is no LISP API to the FDO stuff as such. However the guys from Promax have created this.

http://cad-gis-mures.ro/index.php/en/pmxfeatclass

If you have a lot of LISP experience and do not want to move to .NET, this is a very good option.

It has full CRUD capabilities for both feature classes (with geometry) as non-feature classes (no geometry).

And also, they are very responsive to questions.

Good luck

Luc

Message 6 of 8
svucic
in reply to: luc.vanlinden

Would it be possible to feed a .NET application with the data that the Lisp gathers and than make the .NET application fill in that data into the data table.

If so, do you maybe have some hints where I could find more about that.

Message 7 of 8
scheel

Hi,

yes this is possible. You can use either the user variables e.q. "USERS1" to "USERS5" and "USERI1" and "USERR1" TO "USERR5".

All These variables are available in Lisp and .net too. You can set them first, then call the .net funcion and the function can set the fdo properties.

And also the way back is possible.

If that is not flexible enough, you can use communication over a temporary file in a format you define by yourself.

You can provide the file Name fixed or over e.q. "USERS1"

Thorsten

Thorsten Scheel
Contelos GmbH

Message 8 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> feed a .NET application with the data that the Lisp gathers

You can define LISP-functions within your dotNET code, that makes every type of dataexchange possible. 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost