AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Georeferenced Images

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rferguson7
8495 Views, 9 Replies

Georeferenced Images

I have some aerial images inserted in Map 2012 (Win 7 64-bit, Infrastructure Suite 2012 Premium). I need to send these to someone using ArcMap (not sure of version). I tried just eTransmitting the dwg to them and that did not work. What is the best way to send this to them so that the images will hold the georeference?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
drusselle
in reply to: rferguson7

Hi,

What file type is the air photo?

Message 3 of 10
thepworth

if you use the old "mapiinsert" for Map Image Insert command, then they'll come through.  FDO does not xref....

you'll have to use mapiinsert to get the images into a drawing in their native coordinates and then attach/drawing query to transform the coordinate system into your working CS - 

not too bad, but not as easy as we'd like....

TdH

Message 4 of 10
rferguson7
in reply to: thepworth

Thanks for your responses!

They are jpeg's that were inserted as images via Civil 3D 2012. I spent A LOT (several days...we are talking several jpegs per drawing and about a dozen drawings) of time scaling, rotating, and translating them into the correct position using NAD83 coordinate system. I now have been told that the images need to be georeferenced and used in ArcMap. When I opened the file I made in Map, and go to MAPIINSERT the photos again using the existing photos as a guide, it then shows in the Image Management that they are there twice. Does this not mean that the original images are ok? I am just wondering if I go thru all the trouble to re-insert them all using MAPIINSERT will it even make a difference or is it simply the way I am transmitting the file to them or something they may be doing incorrectly on their end??? 

Message 5 of 10
thepworth

if they're in the same place, then the problem looks like it's at the other end (ARC).  not having arc here, can't be of much further help.  C3D/Map3D doesn't write out world files for use w/o having "Raster Design" running on top 😞

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... unless someone can point me out as wrong - which i'd be happy to admit my (near) ignorance 😉

TdH

Message 6 of 10
rferguson7

Ok, so just to be extra sure this is not me, the proper procedure to give this to them would be:

1. MAPIINSERT the jpeg and make same location, scale, and rotation adjustments as before,

2. Save

3. eTransmit the file to a zip file and email to them.

Is this correct? Sorry, I know this has been discussed but I want to just be certain that the problem is not on my end and confirm that eTransmit is the way to go. Thanks again. 

Message 7 of 10
Murph_Map

Are they running AutoCAD with the ESRI ArcMap extension? If they are not opening the dwgs in AutoCAD then the image referances may not be of any use to them. If the images are georeferanced and have the world file with them they can use the dwg as is and then insert the images in ESRI ArcView.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 10
thepworth

Lemme back you off a step or two.  Mapiinsert is more oriented towards inserting georeferenced images into the images' native coordinate system, such as from a .PRJ projection file & .TFW Tiff world file that collectively state the coordinate system of the image & reference a given location (i.e. center of top left pixel & pixel dimension in x/y values & x/y scales).  great if you just want to bring in an orthophoto background.  if you're bringing in an image and using rotate/scale/align to "rubbersheet" it to match your drawing, then all of the work/processing from mapiinsert will be discarded.  so you don't want to mix the two.  however, if you have Raster Design, then you could take a image (such as an as-built scan from construction drawings) & rotate/stretch/align to match a vector drawing and then push out a .TFW & .PRJ for that drawing to be used with other software that understands georeferencing (i.e. Arc).  don't mean to confuse you, but what is the imagery your'e wanting to transmit?  let's start there...

Message 9 of 10
antoniovinci

thepworth wrote:

i'd be happy to admit my (near) ignorance 😉

Be happy, sir.

You can definetely create a Worldfile with this free tool.

Moreover I would import that pair JPG+JGW in the opensource Quantum Gis, in order to generate a full georeferenced  true Geotiff. 

Message 10 of 10
rferguson7
in reply to: antoniovinci

THANK YOU antoniovinci  !!!!!

That worked perfectly to output a jpw that is nice compact and emailable. Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers! Smiley Happy 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost