AutoCAD Map 3D General

glanglois
Message 1 of 6 (266 Views)

General question/New to mapping with CAD

266 Views, 5 Replies
09-28-2012 10:46 AM

Hello all,

I'm going to preface this post by saying I'm a complete newbie to mapping with AutoCad. That being said, I do have experience with other CAD products.

The project: Taking survey data (x,yz) where x,y are coordinates and z is elevation and drawing a 3d polyline in the program. It is my hopes that I can do so over a basemap of the area we are working in. I am hoping to do this as simply as possible.

I was wondering if someone could speak to the basics of how to do this or provide me some good references to use. In addition, I am a student (this project is for engineers without borders) so I have access to a wide variety of CAD and GIS suites if you feel that one will suite my needs better.

Thanks in advance,

Grant

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 6 (262 Views)

Re: General question/New to mapping with CAD

09-28-2012 11:13 AM in reply to: glanglois

glanglois wrote:

Taking survey data ... and drawing a 3d polyline

Would you please elaborate that, e.g. with a couple of screenshots?

glanglois
Message 3 of 6 (257 Views)

09-28-2012 11:59 AM in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks for the reply! I don't have much now to take a screenshot of. Let me try to clarify my intent?

We are contructing a water pipeline in a foreign country as volunteers. Our survey team recently surveyed the area and gave us various coordinates for the pipeline.

They are in the form <Easting,Northing,Elevation>

I am able to plot the line to problem using these points; however I would like to incorporate a basemap of the area to go under this data. (e.g so that the points of the pipeline corrsepond to a point on the map). 

I guess i'm just wondering what the best way to approach this project is.

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 4 of 6 (253 Views)

09-28-2012 12:14 PM in reply to: glanglois

Well, if you want to put a background aerial image under your 3Dpoly, you may _MAPCONNECT to a WMS server like http://wms.latlon.org/?layers=osm

Mentor
autoMick
Message 5 of 6 (226 Views)

09-29-2012 09:19 PM in reply to: glanglois

If I understand you correctly, you wish to draw a polyline between a set of xyz points. 

I use civil3D. I don't really use Map3D but maybe the commands are similar or if you also have civil3D, then it is pretty easy:

- insert menu, import tab, create points from file (say ENZ space delimited for x y z file). Each individual points will automatically be assigned a number starting at 1. 

- now you can create either a 2D or 3D poly depending on your needs - similar process. 

- command 3DPOLY (PLINE for 2D)

- when it asks to specify the start: type the following to specify you'll reference point numbers:     'pn

- then when it asks for the point number type in the point number range to include:   1-50 (assuming you have 50 points)

Hopefully the process is similar in map3d.

Cheers

- Mick

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2014
Self-built i7-3930K, 16Gb RAM, P9X79 m/board
SSD(system), HDD(data), Win7Pro64, Quadro K4000
*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 6 of 6 (220 Views)

09-30-2012 01:10 AM in reply to: autoMick

autoMick wrote:
PLINE for 2D

The above command closes automatically the chain, while a simple _LINE command will create an open one in the 1-N range.

I wonder why the OP wrote "I am able to plot the line...": I think he'd like only to have a background imagery under his existing polyline...

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community