AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

zkeninger
Message 1 of 2 (152 Views)

FDO Import from ArcSDE

152 Views, 1 Replies
02-17-2014 01:38 PM

New to CAD user here.

After importing a file from a database using the FDO Import option on the insert tab, does that disconnect the data from the database and now its just an AutoCAD layer?  Meaning whatever edits I do it after the import, it won't affect the initial data in the database?

Also, is there a way to automate this import?  Meaning that when I set up my template, it will automatically pull certain files in fresh (or most current) when the template initially opens, then once its saved as something else, it doesn't refresh?

Thank you for your time.

-zk

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 2 (85 Views)

Re: FDO Import from ArcSDE

02-25-2014 12:16 PM in reply to: zkeninger

Hi,

>> After importing a file from a database [...] and now its just an AutoCAD layer?

Yep, importing means you import the data from one datastore into another one, resulting in new (copied) data without any connection to the previous one.

So the question is: if you want to edit the original data why do you import it instead of just connecting to the original datastore using _MAPCONNECT?

>> Also, is there a way to automate this import?

Most automation-jobs can be done using Workflow Designer (>>>details<<<).

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community