AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External component has thrown an exception

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
davidm889
2540 Views, 3 Replies

External component has thrown an exception

So theres a good one. I'm just getting back into GIS after a 12 year absense and this is the first thing I see from Map. I'm trying to import GPS data in the form of a CSV file through excel. I have created the ODBC connection and when I test connection in the OSGeo FDO Provider dialog box I get an error message "External component has thrown an exception" and nothing happens. I click on the link for the error but there is no explaination as to what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Using MAP3d 2013, Office 2007 on a 64bit  windows 7 computer.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
msparks
in reply to: davidm889

I get the exact same thing when trying to run the following line of code in c#.

IConnectionManager

connectionManager = FeatureAccessManager.GetConnectionManager();

I have no solution, but would sure entertain any suggestions.  My computer specs are the exact same as yours.

Message 3 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: davidm889

First Excel is a speadsheet and ODBC wants a DataBase (the DB in odbc). Versions ago it would allow Excel files but MS and the drivers are not working with FDO providers as they did back in 2009.

Second is the MS Office a 32 or 64 bit system and do you have the 64 bit ODBC drivers?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 4
oana.iln
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hi guys.

I have exactly the same problem. Same spec, same error.

Murph, I checked my ODBC drivers, and they're on 64bit.

Any ideas how it might be solved? Might be worth mentioning that it was weird that I was asked for a password and a username, after setting up a new connection.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost