AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extent Error with Exported Polygon Shape Files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
focuseng
1285 Views, 4 Replies

Extent Error with Exported Polygon Shape Files

I am exporting shape files for a GIS user.  I am using the correct coordinate system and my untis are in feet and decimal degrees.  I can export the lines and points with attributes and they import into GIS just fine.  When I export a polygon with or without attributes, when i improt them into GIS i get the error "One or more of the added layers has an extent that is not consistent with the associated spatial refernce."  Any ideas what I could do?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
phil_borycens
in reply to: focuseng

Thank you for posting to the Autodesk Discussion Groups.

I'd like to help you resolve this, but the first step really is to gather enough information about your situation.

Below I have posted a few questions, and have implied some suggestions within them. So please try the suggestions, and if you resolve this, let us know what you did, for the benefit of myself and the community. If you are still having trouble, please post your answers to the questions.

1. What specific action is triggering this error message, and in what program is the error occuring in? A screenshot would be helpful to demonstrate this too.

2. Can you FDO connect to the "problematic" polygon shapefile in AutoCAD Map 3D? Is there any trouble when doing so? If yes, specifically what happens?

3. Which coordinate system is associated with this problematic shapefile? Have you tried using a coordinate system with smaller extents (such as a State Plane CS instead of a World or Continental CS)?

Thanks!

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 5
focuseng
in reply to: phil_borycens

1. When the GIS user try's to improt the shape file into arch gis they get the following error

2. When I try and FDO connect the polygon back into Civil 3D Map it doesn;t report an error and it brings in the layer but the polygon does not show up.  Also this is not one specoific polygon that gives me trouble it is all polygons and the lines and points work just fine.

3. I am using the UT83-CF (Utah State Planes; NAD83 datum, Central Zone, US Foot) This was the coordinate system I was directed to use by the GIS user who works for a municipality but am willing to try something else but not sure which to try.

Message 4 of 5
phil_borycens

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have ArcGIS to test with here, but here are a few more considerations:

• Is there a PRJ file associated with your SHP? You can open the PRJ to see what kind of extents are defined in it. If there isn't a PRJ or it is blank inside, then you should recreate your shapefile by using MAPEXPORT and defining a coordinate system...
  • In ArcMap, please also check the project (MXD) that you are using to connect to this shapefile. Maybe the boundaries or coordinate system are defined much differently than the SHP that you are connecting to?
  • I didn't really understand your answer to question #2. All I can say is that if you don't see your polygons after connecting to them and Adding to Map in AutoCAD Map 3D, have you tried a ZOOM - ALL or a ZOOM - EXTENTS? What happens when you select the layer in Display Manager and open the Table? Are the records displayed?

You could check the ESRI resources for more information on that error too.

I hope this helps!

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 5
cals326

I'm having the same issues (6 years after your post...).  Finally found the answer:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-map-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

You have to check "Treat closed polylines as polygons" on the Options tab, even though it seems obvious when you've already chosen to export as polygons.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost