AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exported Shapefile from AutoCAD causes ArcMAP to crash...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
eBoesenberg
1839 Views, 7 Replies

Exported Shapefile from AutoCAD causes ArcMAP to crash...

I have a shapefile with 204 fields which I imported to AutoCAD Map and made modifications when I exported it back to shapefile using mapexport, it causes ArcMap to freeze up and throw an error.  I started testing the shapefile to see what is causing the error.  It turns out if I exclude 48 fieds when I export, the resulting shapefile opens fine but if I exclude 47 fields I get the same error.

I am able to open the original shapefile with 204 attributes in ArcMap when it is not exported from AutoCAD.

Can anybody shed some light on this issue?

This post had the same issue http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/invalid-shp-file/m-p/2094746/highlight/true#M23255

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
thepworth
in reply to: eBoesenberg

I'd try to break it down.

1)  does this happen if you export to a .SDF with all 204 fields?

2)  do you really need all that "baggage" with the .SHP - can you use a tabular join & boost your performance?

Message 3 of 8
eBoesenberg
in reply to: thepworth

This was the first time I have used AutoCAD to edit a shapefile.  I typically use ArcGIS but most edits have been minor.  Now I know if use Map to edit shapefiles make sure to remove all fields and then join afterwards.  Autodesk is back to emailing me, so maybe they will have a fix in the future.

Message 4 of 8

Hi,

it appears to me that JohnPM explained the reason for the issue in his last posting. Have you checked that?

Instead of importing - working with FDO might be an option here as there is no need to import/export.

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

>> Now I know if use Map to edit shapefiles make sure to remove all fields and then join afterwards

That's not true, have you been told to do that to get Map3D working with SHP-files ;(

...and if you don't import the fields you can't joint them after the work-process as you don't know any more what geometry-item has to be joined to what database-record, especially if you joined or splitted some objects.

Now let's see how you use the geometry, how you get the SHP-data into AutoCAD, have you used the command _MAPIMPORT (so I would imagine you may have forgotten to also import the attributes to object-data) or have you connected to the SHP-files with FDO command _MAPCONNECT. In case of FDO there are conflicts with the IDX-file when you exchange the data between AutoCAD-Map3D and ArcGIS. Every of these programms write it's own version of IDX and they are not fully compatible (different code-sets used). Delete the IDX-file every time you transfer your data from product A to B or B to A, Map3D and ArcGIS do the IDX-file automatically regenerate (in their syntax) and so it works well.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

It may also be that the exported column widths are too wide.  Make sure you only make your columns/fields as wide as they need to be.  If all of your columns are Text and have 255 characters width you are going to run into this problem if my recollection is correct.

Dan

Message 7 of 8
eBoesenberg
in reply to: Anonymous

Dan,

I was just reviewing the files and it seams that when the file is exported from AutoCAD, AutoCAD is modifing the length of text fields.

Example:

The orignal file has a field named "PIPE_INV_2" with a length of 14 characters.  That same fields in the exported shapefile is 254 characters.

Alfred,

I am using MAPIMPORT to get the files into AutoCAD.  I have tried to delete the IDX file.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: eBoesenberg

When that happens to me I open the shapefile in MapInfo and edit the appropriate columns to reset the column widths.  Another approach you could take from inside of AutoCAD Map would be to connect to the Shape file using FDO.  Export the Schema to an XML file.  Create a new blank shape file inside of AutoCAD Map.  Import the Schema file and change the column widths as necessary.  Bulk copy the old shape file to the new shape file and that should do it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost