AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "No Entity to Export"

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jbartley87
9193 Views, 10 Replies

Error "No Entity to Export"

I am using 2010 and have been trying to export a polygon as a .shp file.  I go to map > tools > export > then I select the layer (which is a lease boundary) and when I click export i get "No Entity to Export"  I have tried manually selecting the object and many other things.... Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: jbartley87

The _MAPEXPORT command allows you to generate 4 shape classes: point, line, polygon, text.

Draw 1 point, 1 line, 1 rectangle, 1 dtext, and perform the command 4 times (once for each object type): what happens?

Message 3 of 11
Murph_Map
in reply to: jbartley87

Unless you have mpolygons you need to select "Line" for type.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 11
braudpat
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hello

+1 with antoniovinci

Please do the test with the 4 different entities : it will validate the MAPEXPORT feature of your MAP 2010 !

Please install the SP 2 for MAP 2010 :

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15166745&linkID=9240858

Your MAP 2010 will run better ... But I don't think it will solve your problem !?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
antoniovinci

Murph wrote:

Unless you have mpolygons you need to select "Line" for type.

Up to 2006 version, _MAPEXPORT works with simple closed polylines too, and the result is a polygon shape (upon checking "Treat closed polylines as polygons" in the Options tab).

It's weird this behaviour has changed in the newer releases, isn't it?

Message 6 of 11
Murph_Map
in reply to: antoniovinci

If you select "line" as type it takes mpolgons, closed pliness and open plines but does create line type features in the shp file.With Polygon as type it takes both closed polygons and mpolygons (2014 version) and creates polygon featues. My guess to the OP is they are not closed polygons but just plines with the same start point and end point.

Murph
Message 7 of 11
braudpat

Hello

Just a stupid idea!

If you draw a rectangle (closed pline in fact) , can you export it as polygon type ?

But don't forget into the Options Tab to enable the option "... closed plines as polygons ..."

Bye, Pat

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
antoniovinci

Murph wrote:

With Polygon as type it takes both closed polygons...
My guess to the OP is they are not closed polygons

Dear M.,

in Autocad's history there are, and will be, NO "closed polygons", because a polygon is closed by definition, and it can't be open.
To avoid the "No entity to export" message, the OP should close (automatically at once) all selected Lwpolylines thru the _PEDIT command.

@ Braudpat

Yours is not a stupid idea at all (it was already advised in the second post).

By the way, for Autocad a rectangle is not a polygon, but a simple closed Lwpolyline...

Message 9 of 11
braudpat

Hey Antonio

I know that closed polylines are not a GIS closed POLYGON !

--> So with we have the famous option in the 3rd Tab "Options" of MAPEXPORT

I was thinking that maybe the MAPEXPORT command was not doing the right job !?

So I was asking for a test ...

I agree with others "Experts", I imagine that the Plines are not REALLY closed !?

Bye, Pat

PS: I am a user of MAP since MAP R1 (on ACAD R13)

and before I have used ADE Module on ACAD R12

So I belong to the Jurassic Park ACAD MAP Group ...

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
Murph_Map

@antoniovinci wrote:

Dear M.,

in Autocad's history there are, and will be, NO "closed polygons", because a polygon is closed by definition, and it can't be open.

True, the problem is CAD terms and GIS terms are confusing to Map3d users, then we throw some Civil3D users in the mix and we have a headache trying to sort it out. Hopefully the OP will reply when he/she gets back in on Monday where ever they are.

Murph
Message 11 of 11
luis.zzucco

Please check if it is a block and explode it before.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost