AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erase All takes forever

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cjneper
583 Views, 10 Replies

Erase All takes forever

We have one 64 bit Windows 7 PC, and that is the one that is having this problem:   When I do "erase" "all" to erase everything in the drawing, Autocad Map takes about 10-15 minutes to do this.  On our 32 bit PC's this takes just seconds on the same drawing.  The drawing I am testing on has 140,000 entities.  Is there a setting or variable for number of entities somewhere??.... I am at a loss as to why the newer faster PC with more memory is choking on this.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
phil_borycens
in reply to: cjneper

Thank you for posting to the Autodesk Discussion Groups.

This unfortunately is a known issue that only affects the 64-bit releases of AutoCAD Map 3D 2013, 2012, and 2011. A fix is still being investigated by the Map 3D developers.

A workaround for this is to launch AutoCAD Map 3D as AutoCAD. Here steps for doing so, and the results of a recent test:
1. Copy your existing AutoCAD Map 3D Desktop Shortcut.
2. Edit the Shortcut, adding a profile switch to the end
e.g.: "C:\xxx\AutoCAD Map 3D 2012\acad.exe" /P "AutoCAD"
This creates a new Profile, which is pure AutoCAD.
4. Try erasing objects again.

No Map ARX Routines are loaded, so you can delete e.g. 300000 Object in less than 3 Seconds.

I hope this works for you until a more permanent fix is released. I'm sorry, but I do not have information regarding if/when a fix might be released.

Any codefixes will be announced to the public via readme on our website.

I have linked your case to the change requests for this issue, which will draw further attention to it.

Thank you for reporting it again to us.

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 11
cjneper
in reply to: phil_borycens

I will try the workaround that you suggest, but I assume then that using a Plain AutoCad profile will mean that I no longer have access to Map commands?

How does an issue like this make it through 3 releases of Map without a solution?  When I was having issues with 32 bit systems being unable to handle large datasets, I was told that Autodesk now recommends a 64 bit system, which does handle large datasets better, but nobody said "Oh by the way, you won't be able to erase those large datasets".... ???  Truly baffling.

Message 4 of 11
cjneper

Is it a possible workaround to install the 32 bit version of Map on the 64 bit PC?  Will that work?

Message 5 of 11
phil_borycens

The installation of 32-bit on 64-bit will detect your system bitness and stop you early in the process. You might be able to hack it, but then it would be an unsupported configuration.

Phil Borycens
Message 6 of 11
cjneper

Creating an "Autocad Only" profile as directed caused me to lose all Map and Raster Design functionality in my original Desktop Shortcut.  Now how do I get them back?  It keeps telling me it can't find certain application or DLL files, and that I have to reinstall the program!  All I did was a profile switch.  There has to be a simpler way to get those back.  They are gone completely out of the CUI.

Message 7 of 11
phil_borycens

I'm sorry. That is very strange. How about running the MENU command and choosing Map.CUIX? Does that fix it?

Phil Borycens
Message 8 of 11
cjneper

No luck.  The menus are back looking normal, but only some of the map commands work.  The Map Import and Workflow Designer commands give error messages, that they cannont fnd a needed dll file, but do not specify what file they need.  It appears a search folder was lost, but they all seem to be there...

Message 9 of 11
phil_borycens

You can either run the Reset Settings to Default utility that comes with AutoCAD Map 3D, or check your paths against mine:

SFSP_Map3D_2012.PNG

Phil Borycens
Message 10 of 11
cjneper

That did it.  The Bin/Fdo  folder was missing.

THanks

Message 11 of 11
david

Yes having same problem.... massively painful. Tried deleting 1,000,000 or so spot heights, left running overnight, couldn't do it. WT? So tried it in microstation - took less than 1 second - almost instantenous. Even deleting 100,000 objects seems to take 5 minutes in 2012. Same deteting done in old 2000 version I still have running - also almost instantaneous. What a pain.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost