AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dividing off a portion of a polygon to a required size

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
parkr4st
341 Views, 4 Replies

Dividing off a portion of a polygon to a required size

The project is to determine to upper 300 acres and 25 square miles of watersheds to determine a point in a stream to comply with a forestry law.  The  law is explained in the brochure http://www.maine.gov/doc/mfs/pubs/pdf/fpminfo/25_statewide_standards.pdf.  Page two has a simple map explaination.  The points to find are the 300 acres & 25 square miles threshholds in watersheds.

I am working with Map3D 2014.  This could be done with drawing polygons, shp, or sdf.   The output would be the points in the streams.  A stream is from its origin downstream to its mouth at another stream, wetland, lake, pond or ocean.  Watersheds smaller than 300 acres get included into the next stream watershed downstream.

Thanks

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
phil_borycens
in reply to: parkr4st

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, but based on what you wrote, it sounds like the Overlay Analysis in Map 3D will help. Just go to the ribbon Analyze tab > Feature Overlay to use it. The dialog should explain everything; the program's Help will give you even more information.

Let us know if you were actually looking for something else, or if you meant to post this elsewhere, we are happy to move this post.

Thanks!

Phil

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 5
parkr4st

Phil

Given a watershed, say 425 acres total, the request is to find the point in the stream downstream of the 300 acres in the upper portion of the watershed.  Maine has laws that apply to the area alongside streams and timber harvesting upstream and downstream of the point.  There is another set of rules between the 300 acre point and the 25 square mile point as shown in the brochure on the link.

I posted here because I have Map3D.  Not sure if Map can be used to get the answer.  Civil3D could be used by dividing a parcel by sliding a line to divide off the 300 acres. i do not have C3D.

Thanks

Dave

Message 4 of 5
phil_borycens

Because you mentioned that you can get the data in an FDO-capable format, I think you can accomplish this using either the Feature Buffer (MAPFDOBUFFERCREATED) or Feature Overlay (MAPGISOVERLAY), or a combination of the two. Why don't you give it a run and let us know if you encounter any issues with it? We can take a closer look if need be.

Thanks!

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 5
parkr4st

Phill

You've got me on this one.  I don't understand what I am to do with either of those commands relative to the problem.  Attached is sdf of the watersheds I am working with  (ME83-WF)

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost