AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database and Drawing edits at same time

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
bmilks
567 Views, 8 Replies

Database and Drawing edits at same time

Can you have a database and the dwg file open at the same time and not be in read-only mode?

For example: I have access database file open and editting it while in the dwg file with the graphical info that is linked to the database.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
foxeec
in reply to: bmilks

Hi,

I'm running Map 2012, and have an AccessDatabase attached.  I'm able to edit the tables in either Map or Access and have the changes show up immediately in both places with no problems.

Lorrie

Message 3 of 9
foxeec

btw,

When i say my Access database is 'attached', I mean I've attached it via Link Template on the Map Explorer Tab, not  through FDO.

Lorrie

Message 4 of 9
bmilks
in reply to: foxeec

Thank you for your help, just what i needed!

Message 5 of 9
bmilks

Do you have a problem of Map being a 64-bit installation, but office 2010 being 32-bit?  We seem to be having problems on that end now.

Message 6 of 9
foxeec

i don't seem to have that problem.  my Access is 2010, however, it is saved to version 2000.  Maybe that's why it works.  Also, just to reiterate, it is connected through the 'map explorer' tab, under data sources.  i do NOT attach through FDO on the 'display manager' tab.

Lorrie

Message 7 of 9
bmilks

We have it all worked out now, thanks again for the help.

Message 8 of 9
bmilks

Sorry to bother you again, but the tech that is doing this just informed he wa using am FDO...which is why I keep having obstacles.How exactly do I define a link template and use it with features, not just objects?

Is there somewhere that spells this out maybe step-by-step or similar?

I really do appreciate the help you have been giving thus far too.

Message 9 of 9
foxeec

how i attach:

1.  right-click on Data Source, on the map explorer pane and choose 'Configure'

2.  Name it.  This can be any name, as long as you know what its for.

3.  You'll get a dialog box to set up the connection.  i use the Microsoft Provider for ODBC Drivers, then hit 'next'.

4.  you should have a number 1, which asks you to specify the source of data.  i use data source name, and on the drop down menu, choose MS Accesss Database.

5.   hit ok.

6.   right-click again on the Data Source and choose 'attach'.  you should have a dialoog box come up and you choose the name you entered in the steps above.  then you can browse to your Access database.

At this point, right-click on Link Template and select 'Define Link Template'. You choose the table and create a primary key and name the link template.

In order to link your drawing data, use 'mapod2ase' select the OD Table, choose to link OD to database, and select the link template to use, select objects, then select 'proceed'.  This links drawing objects to the database.

This does NOT work in connection to FDO features (that i am aware of), only CAD objects.

More helpful?

Lorrie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost