AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

mdkaller
Message 1 of 3 (996 Views)

DWG to arcgis questions

996 Views, 2 Replies
06-14-2012 08:42 AM

I am trying to import DWG files over to ArcMap, but none of the data show up on display.  To preface this, I did not create these DWG, and these files were not given a projection and coordinate system.  And I work on AutoCAD Map 3D 2011.  So I have a couple of questions about this:

1.  Every time I add the associated DWG files, I get a message saying “The following data sources you added are missing spatial reference information.  This data can be drawn in ArcMap, but cannot be projected.”  Do I need to define a projection and coordinate system of the DWG on AutoCAD in order for it to show up on ArcMap? And if so, what are some tips on how to make this happen?
  2. I am working with ArcGIS 9.3.1 and I thought I installed the Data Interoperability extension for so I can bring DWGs to ArcGIS.  However, the extension does not show up on as far as when I try to add it onto ArcCatalog.  Would this also be a factor?
*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 3 (989 Views)

Re: DWG to arcgis questions

06-14-2012 11:32 AM in reply to: mdkaller

Well, I think you'd better find answers in an Esri forum, not here, sir.

Anyway, try to _MAPEXPORT from Autocad in .SHP format, then import the resulting shapefiles in Arcgis.

Contributor
jens.kuegl
Message 3 of 3 (964 Views)

Re: DWG to arcgis questions

06-19-2012 02:53 AM in reply to: antoniovinci

To add a DWG to ArcMap you use the button with the + sign. A extension is not necessary.

What coordinate system has the dwg data? In what coordinate system is the ArcMap data frame?
If the coordinate systems are equal, it is not necessary to assign a coordinate system to the dwg.

Jens

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community