AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG's in ArcGIS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
phil_borycens
1395 Views, 6 Replies

DWG's in ArcGIS

Hi everyone!

Curious about this as a customer asked me about it today.

Workflow:

1. In AutoCAD, WBLOCK objects from a working drawing to a new DWG.

2. In ArcGIS desktop (10.1, and possibly earlier versions), convert the DWG to SHP.

Result: If you do this with a DWG 2010, it works. If you do this with a DWG 2013, it breaks. I'm not sure if it throws an error message or what exactly it does...

Feel free to correct me or post your experience to the thread.

Thanks everyone!

Phil Borycens
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

>> If you do this with a DWG 2013, it breaks

...because ArcGIS can't read 2013-DWGs?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7

alfred.neswadba wrote:
...because ArcGIS can't read 2013-DWGs?

I concur definetely: in Acad 2013 you'd WBLOCK to an earlier release than itself.

If the source DWG contains Object Data, you can consider _MAPEXPORTing to shapefile, since I doubt Arcgis would be able to understand the embedded OD in a DWG.

Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I imagine that ESRI is working to figure out what's different between a 2010 and a 2013 DWG, and likely they are working on a fix on their end.

And yes, Antonio, you're right, there are other ways...

I just had to ask because I don't have ArcGIS here to play with.

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: phil_borycens

@borycep wrote:

I just had to ask because I don't have ArcGIS here to play with.

Every good AE should have a copy of the competitors software available to them. 🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 7
jim.dahl

I have questions of my own relating to this thread.  I have a process where my ESRI software reads DWGs directly through an automated process.  Now it does not work with CAD 2013.  I have to save it back to previous release for ArcGIS to read it.  Are there any other workarounds I should be aware of.  I have not seen any patch from ESRI.

For reading object data, the ArcGIS for AutoCAD extension for ArcGIS works but I do not like having to create the DWG from ESRI.

thanks, Jim

Message 7 of 7
trippcor

While I have not heard anything official, I believe Esri is waiting on the release of ArcGIS 10.2 to support 2013 DWGs. The 2013 DWG has been out long enough for them to have figured it out and release a patch for ArcGIS 10 or 10.1 based on past experience. The Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS may support the 2013 DWG but I have not tested that.

Tripp Corbin, GISP

eGIS Associates, Inc.

www.egisassociates.com

Tripp Corbin, GISP
CEO
eGIS Associates, Inc.
www.egisassociates.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost