AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Multi-polygons

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
neilroper
1814 Views, 3 Replies

Creating Multi-polygons

Hello

I am trying to figure out how to create multi-polygons with AutoCAD Map.

Preferably I would like to create them using the closed polylines i already have in my drawings. It would even by ok to create a multiple feature shape file, then join them together in to one feature using feature edit/map tools.

I have fiddled with the "MPOLYGON" tool, but I don't seem to be able to merge another polygon (MPMERGE = Unknown command??) after i have finished the initial "MPOLYGON" command, so this is not the best solution.

If I create a multiple feature shape file, then connect to the shape file and try to edit; The "MAPFEATUREMERGE" command lets me select both objects, but then asks "Specify feature ID for us {Select/New} <Select>. The select doesn't let me select either of the features I’m trying to merge, and the "New" kicks me out of the command or says invalid entry.

I am able to merge "touching" features, but not features separated by a gap.

I figure I’m probably overlooking something very basic, so any help that can be offered is appreciated.

If I haven't explained everything properly, let me know in a reply, and I’ll try to clarify

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: neilroper

Make sure your polylines are closed, look in the property palette at the closed property.

Look at using the _mapmpedit command to merge or add new boundaries to existing MPolygons.

Pay attension to the command line with all the options.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 4
neilroper
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks for the quick reply

The "MAPMPEDIT" allows me to add polygons to existing polygons; which i would then map export to create a "multi-polygons" shape file (I hope i have the terminology right). Unfortunatly, the polygons objects don't work very well for how i have to have my drawing configured. Is there a way to get the same result using just closed polylines?

Or is there a way to join exsting shape file features into a "multi-polygon"?

Message 4 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: neilroper

I'd do that by means of topologies (command _MAPTOPOCREATE).

You then _MAPEXPORT the polygonal topology as a shapefile, and finally you _MAPIMPORT it back into your main drawing, enjoying nice mpolygons as islands, holed regions, and so on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost