AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coordinates Feet and Meters messed up? MO83

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
LyleHardin
718 Views, 6 Replies

Coordinates Feet and Meters messed up? MO83

I'm inserting tiff aerial images with world files. They show up in the MAP corolation dialog box as being located in Missouri East NAD 83 U.S. Survey Foot. The associated world file and xml file also indicate Missouri East NAD 83 U.S. Survey Foot.

They were coming in 3.28084 times too big as if metric.

After checking my UNITS and INSUNITS and everything else, here's what I discovered.

- If I DON'T assign a coordinate system, they come in at the right scale and in the right place.

- If I assign a METERS coordinate system (MO83E) they come in correctly as well.

- if I assign a FOOT coordinate system (MO83EF) (the coordinate system we WANT to work in) they come in scaled 3.28 times too large and in the wrong place.  I can scale them down from 0,0 by 0.3048 and they are fine(ish).  Not what I want to do though....

I've not tried other images or other coordinate systems.

Has anyone else run into this. Is this a but in AutoCAD MAP or in the images' world file??

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: LyleHardin

what version of map3d?

source of the images so we can downlaod them?

dave

Message 3 of 7
LyleHardin
in reply to: parkr4st

Ah, yes, that would be helpful, eh?

I'm on Map 2015 from the Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2015.

I either didn't notice it in previous versions (using Civil 3D) or just dealt with it.

But I think it used to work okay.

Embarassing how I butchered the word "correlation" too.... yowza.  I usually do better than that...

Message 4 of 7
parkr4st

source of the images so we can download them?

mapiinsert used to insert the images? or another method?

dave

Message 5 of 7
LyleHardin

Here's the site I used for the aerials.

Ease-West Gateway Council of Governments

http://dynamic.stlouis-mo.gov/citydata/2012aerials.cfm

I'm using some aerials near downtown St. Louis.

To insert them, I used Mapinsert and I also tried attaching them as Raster image Data.

Both methods ended up in the wrong place if I used the proper coordinate system in my drawing.

Message 6 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: LyleHardin

I selected the photo with the Arch in it. 054-083_rgb.tif In Data Connect, when I connect it shows the Cord Sys is MO83-E.  Add to map does not line the photo up against    MO_2009_County_Boundaries_shp.shp      from   ftp://msdis.missouri.edu/pub/Administrative_Political_Boundaries/ .  That is UTM83-15.

changing the photo CS to MO83-EF before add to map causes it to align with the county line, the river, ok.

What worked best.  new map  set CS to MO83-EF.  Suggest you save that as a template for reuse. 

data connect to the image(s) and make sure the CS is changed to MO83-EF.  data connect to other data such as county line, streets, etc to cross check location.

Zoom into the tractor trailers just nw of the Arch.  and use the MAPCGDIST command.  the trailer should measure 53 feet.  The bases in the baseball field to the sw 90 feet apart, etc to make sure you have the units you want.

I also did the same in ArcMap and got the same result. 

If you have GPS to check points on the ground you can make sure that all the data aligns with earth.

Dave

Message 7 of 7
LyleHardin

Thanks, Dave.

Sorry to have you go through all that, but I'm glad you did.

I was thinking the images were already MO83-EF, but I see now they weren't. My bad....

Changing the coordinate system on them worked for me too.

Thanks again.

Lyle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost