AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting .shp files in LL83 to UTM NAD 83

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
bwilson17
2344 Views, 10 Replies

Converting .shp files in LL83 to UTM NAD 83

I have an aerial ortho image with a world file and a .dwg that is in UTM NAD83 17N and some shapefiles that are LL83.

I know that these shapefiles correspond to the subject area, but right now these are not lining up at all because the shapefiles are in lat and long ie. -73.xx, 48.xxx and the UTM coords are i.e. 4870562.56, 555859.08.

Any pointers on how to do the transformation?

I have tried to assign the NAD83 projection to the shapefiles, but they remain in the same lat long coordinate space.

THX.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: bwilson17

1] open normally your main UTM file

2] command _ADEDRAWINGS to attach the LL83 files

3] command _ADEQUERY to perform a "draw query" transforming the coordinate system from LL83 to UTM

🙂

Message 3 of 11
bwilson17
in reply to: antoniovinci

So the LL83 files will be saved in a .dwg then? Is there a way to transform the shapefiles themselves?

Also, i am not too familiar with how the 'draw query' works.

Thanks Man Very Happy 

Message 4 of 11
antoniovinci

Yes, you must save every SHP as indipendent DWG, then you attach them in the main UTM drawing.

Next option: I'm used to transform my shape files between different coords systems, by means of the opensource Mapwindow, but maybe there's a way to do that in the newest versions of Autocad Map (let's wait for Mr.Murph).

About the _ADEQUERY command, have mercy of me, so please check your F1 online help...

🙂 

Message 5 of 11
bwilson17

i used the draw query and drew some crossings and circles around the UTM map base and then boom the shapefiles started lining up properly ! even though they were still in LL83

Message 6 of 11
antoniovinci

> i used the draw query and drew some crossings and circles around the UTM map base and then boom the shapefiles started lining up properly ! even though they were still in LL83

Do you mean that the ADEDRAWINGS+ADEQUERY technique worked for you..?
Message 7 of 11
bwilson17

I think so. something happened to transform the coordinate space of the shapefiles.

Message 8 of 11
ChadRoberge

Are you using the Shape Files as a Feature Source?  If so the shape files will come into the drawing and autocad will transform them on the fly to what ever your drawing is set to.  Just make sure you have the Shape files set to the actual coordinate system they were created in.

Message 9 of 11
gluckett

How about just converting you SHP to SDF?

1. Set the coordinate system of your drawing in to the UTM NAD 83 Coordinate system you want.

2. Drag and drop the SHP files into your drawing

3. If they apprear correctly then right-click the layer and save as SDF (the sdf will now be in UTM Nad 83).

4. If they don't appear correctly, override the coordiante system in the connect dialog box and choose the one you know the SHP to be in before you do step 3.

regards

gordon

Message 10 of 11
Jonathan3891
in reply to: gluckett

Another way is the following:

In the task pane, click on data>connect to data

Add shp connection > browse to your shp file

Once you connected to the shp file, you can then edit the coordinate system.

This also works for raster images, sdf's, ect.

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 11 of 11
jia_hu
in reply to: Jonathan3891

Keep in mind with data connection, it will change the source drawing when converting coordinate system. The best way to bring in shapefile is to type "mapimprt" in the command and import a 'copy' of the shapefile instead of the source drawing itself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost