AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert dwg with database links

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
darrenk
494 Views, 8 Replies

Convert dwg with database links

Hello all.

I am trying to convert several drawings that are linked to an SQL database to SQL spatial. The drawings are from a Autodesk map 2004 system. I have Map D 2013 64Bit installed on a laptop along with SQL server 2012 RC0 (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio      11.0.1750.32 Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)      6.1.7601.17514 Microsoft MSXML      3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0 Microsoft Internet Explorer      9.0.8112.16421 Microsoft .NET Framework      4.0.30319.269 Operating System      6.1.7601). To keep my rouge laptop off the company network I exported our existing SQL data to a access database that I placed on the laptop and converted back to SQL and linked it to the 2004 drawings. That part worked fine. I would like to convert all of them to SQL spatial. I have converted a small drawing but it took a couple of hours. I am in the process of a larger drawing that has 60,000 entities and it has been working for 8 hours and only has 4550 of them completed. I am using the output to fdo connection. Should it be this slow? Thanks.

The specs are attached.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: darrenk

Hi,

have you tried bulk copy? Look >>>here<<< to get an overview of how to.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
darrenk
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I was under the impression that bulk copy was from one fdo source to another. How can I select my dwg in the bulk copy window? Thanks

Message 4 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> How can I select my dwg in the bulk copy window?

Export your drawing to an SDF (using command _MAPEXPORT), don't forget to include your object-data into it. Then you are on the way for a direct bulk copy 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 9
darrenk

Thanks for the reply. It has been working for about 1:30 hours and has completd 350 of 60,000. Should it be this slow?

Message 6 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> It has been working for about 1:30 hours and has completd 350 of 60,000. Should it be this slow?

What process? The MAPEXPORT or the BULKCOPY?

Anyway ... none of these should be as slow.

I would try to remove most of the geometry so you have just a few (10 or so) geometry-objects.

And now run the process again. Then verify if there is all correct with the result.

That would prevent you from waiting additional 100 days and then receiving an error message. 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 9
darrenk

I have tried to both methods and it seems that coping the SQL data is the slow part. The drawing is linked to the same SQL database that is installed on this computer. I configured the data source for the old drawing with a udl pointed to the SQL database. It is fast when I don't select the database links. I think I will look at this again Monday. Thanks

Message 8 of 9
darrenk

I selected 86 features in the drawing and selected their database link. It took 3 minutes. I have 60000 of them. Is this normal? I figured that it would take about 35 hours to do this drawing. We have 59 drawings that range from just a few kb to 44mb. The one I have been working on is 7.5mb. Any ideas? Thanks

Message 9 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

Sorry, I though I would have time to do a small setup simulating that SQL-Server environment, but my time is run out and I have no chance for the next days to do that.

Globally: I don't think that writing 80 records can use 3minutes under normal circumstances. Either there are some conflicts with access to SQL-Server (check servicepacks, check to run with admin-rights for the test, maybe check another SQL-Server-version) or it has to do with some data-settings in the drawing (like e.g. object-data you transfer, coord-system, ...).

For testing different data I would start with simple polygons without additional data, then adding field by field (one string, one integer, ...) and verify when the performance goes down.

Again sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost