AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Layouts to Blocks

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kevis41
286 Views, 1 Reply

Convert Layouts to Blocks

BACKROUND:
I have many "detail" drawings where the objects are drawn in modelspace but the detail #, name, date, and a border are in paperspace (with a single viewport for the objects). There is one detail # per drawing file and each has just one layout tab to display (and print) the detail. We print the layout tab in each of the 40 drawing files (easily done using the Publish command) and distribute them to various firms. The firms must incorporate the relevant details into thier construction plans both on paper and in thier AutoCad file submittals.

PROBLEM:
Since part of the detail drawing is in maodelspace and part in paperspace they are having problems inserting the details in thier drawings and having both parts of the drawing display like on the paper copy we give them. XREF, Windows Copy & Paste, and insert block give unsatisfactory results.

QUESTION:
How can I take a "snapshot" so to speak of the layout tab so that file can be inserted into another drawing (similar to creating a .DWF file). The resulting file MUST be a .DWG file since they must sometimes modify it. Could I create a different file type first then convert that to .DWG? I have copied the pspace info and pasted them in modelspace then scaled, moved, and wblocked that to another file that's pure modelspace. This new file can me inserted into other drawings but it is a time consuming process for 40 drawings!

Any ideas would be appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: kevis41

If you have Express Tools you can use Express > Layout Tools > Change Space. It should drop your PS entities on top of your MS entities. Or you could plot to a DXB file or a DWF file from PS. If they are willing to take them as Raster. You could plot to a Raster file format. Allen "kevis41" wrote in message news:15884015.1079381904830.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > BACKROUND: > I have many "detail" drawings where the objects are drawn in modelspace but the detail #, name, date, and a border are in paperspace (with a single viewport for the objects). There is one detail # per drawing file and each has just one layout tab to display (and print) the detail. We print the layout tab in each of the 40 drawing files (easily done using the Publish command) and distribute them to various firms. The firms must incorporate the relevant details into thier construction plans both on paper and in thier AutoCad file submittals. > > PROBLEM: > Since part of the detail drawing is in maodelspace and part in paperspace they are having problems inserting the details in thier drawings and having both parts of the drawing display like on the paper copy we give them. XREF, Windows Copy & Paste, and insert block give unsatisfactory results. > > QUESTION: > How can I take a "snapshot" so to speak of the layout tab so that file can be inserted into another drawing (similar to creating a .DWF file). The resulting file MUST be a .DWG file since they must sometimes modify it. Could I create a different file type first then convert that to .DWG? I have copied the pspace info and pasted them in modelspace then scaled, moved, and wblocked that to another file that's pure modelspace. This new file can me inserted into other drawings but it is a time consuming process for 40 drawings! > > Any ideas would be appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost