AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cartographic line styles in Autodesk Map 3D

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tmgovind
943 Views, 2 Replies

Cartographic line styles in Autodesk Map 3D

Hi

I am using Autodesk Map Enterprise 2012 and picking up Autodesk Map.

I need to create multiple line styles for use in maps representing Clean Water and Waste Water pipe lines.

The symbols for WW make extensive use of  flow arrows and shapes with different start and line end styles.

Pls refer to the attached image.

For example,  --^---^---^----^---^------->  ,   ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++O etc. --->--- .. -------->----- .. ------->-----

Most of these shapes are offset from the alignment.

a)  Is shx file the only way to create shape features that can be specified in linetype definition or can i ise blocks? If yes, are there any specific commands/utilities for it?

b) How do i specify the begining and the end style or a line (which should not get repeated) ? It is usually a vector circle which is 1.5 M in dia or a Flag like graphic.

Using LINETYPE command i made use of acad.lin file and created a few line styles, but not sure hot to specify the start and the end style.

c) Is there any specific mapping tools available for Map 3D?

Pls let me know. Will summarize.

Regards

Govind

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Murph_Map
in reply to: tmgovind

@tmgovind wrote:

Hi

I am using Autodesk Map Enterprise 2012 and picking up Autodesk Map.

I need to create multiple line styles for use in maps representing Clean Water and Waste Water pipe lines.

Most of these shapes are offset from the alignment.

a)  Is shx file the only way to create shape features that can be specified in linetype definition or can i ise blocks? If yes, are there any specific commands/utilities for it?

b) How do i specify the begining and the end style or a line (which should not get repeated) ? It is usually a vector circle which is 1.5 M in dia or a Flag like graphic.

Using LINETYPE command i made use of acad.lin file and created a few line styles, but not sure hot to specify the start and the end style.

c) Is there any specific mapping tools available for Map 3D?

A. Yes, autocad shape files are the way to add symbols to a linetype definition, you can also use a text as long as it's a shx font.

B. You can not specify the symbol for start and end point and not have it repeated. You need to create a point or block object separately.

C. Look at the data connect (FDO) tools/commands. They use a different 'style' of using linetypes and symbols.

MAP 3D has a lot of different tools for mapping and displaying objects/features and data attached to those objects. For example your waste water line can be 4" or 6" in dia, and part of it is concreate and part is PVC, Map3D will allow you to display it by color/line type or lineweight different in many different views (Maps) based on the size, materical etc. but you create it all on the same layer. Map3D can be data driven.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 3
tmgovind
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph. Thanks for your answer.

I created SHAPES using expresstools and loaded the same. I was disappointed that it is not possible to specify the begining and the end style of a line. As you are aware, i am looking for a line with a arrow head at the end and a Circle at the beginning with some shapes in between the end points getting repeated(i.e. not the arrow and the circle). This is needed to differentiate certain set of sewers from the rest.

o---------x---------x----------x-------->

We have run out of all dit-dashes with colour combinations. So i am in need of this linestyle.

a) I created a closed polygon and hatched (SIMPLE POLYGON FILL) it before creating a shape. But when the shape was added to the line style the hatch was not present  but the outer polygon is appearing. Is hatch supported in SHAPES?

b) U had recommended the use of BLOCKS for the start and end points. I have to store the sewer mains in SDO_GEOMTERY in Oracle Spatial (I am using Autodesk map 3D 2012 Infrastructure Manager). If i have to do that , I am not sure whether the Arrow and the circle can be stored with the lines in the same record in the sewer mains table(polyline).

Thanks and Regards

Govind

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost