AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you import mxd and mdb files (or data) into AutoCAD Map 3D 2011?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
k234234
23299 Views, 11 Replies

Can you import mxd and mdb files (or data) into AutoCAD Map 3D 2011?

Without exporting these files from ArcGIS into another format, can I somehow import the ArcGIS project data right into AutoCAD from the mxd and mbd files?

I received the mxd and mdb project files from a client and would rather not have to ask them to reformat for me. My ArcGIS version is too old to open these files, and I'd like to move completely away from ArcGIS if possible.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Yes, you can attach to MS Access (MDB) files directly from Map3D.  You might have to download an updated ODBC Driver if you're running on Win7 64-Bit.  Anything (virtually/almost) that you can connect to with an ODBC driver can be used in Map3D.

Message 3 of 12

@toddhepworth4253 wrote:

Yes, you can attach to MS Access (MDB) files directly from Map3D.  You might have to download an updated ODBC Driver if you're running on Win7 64-Bit.  Anything (virtually/almost) that you can connect to with an ODBC driver can be used in Map3D.

Wrong answer Todd, to the OP questions. The mdb he/she is referring to is a personnel Geodatabase from E$RI. He/she would need the GDAL/ORG provider and use data connect which is read only and I haven't seen one for 2011 version yet.

Murph
http://Map3d.wordpress.com
Message 4 of 12

Fair enough - my bad....

Message 5 of 12

OK - thanks, all - another question:

I'm just using the trial version of 2011 - if I us a previous version of AutoCAD Map 3D (is there a 2010?) will I be able to import data from ESRI mxd and mdb files directly into AutoCAD without having my client do some kind of special formatting for me?

And will I still need some kind of translater? I'm not sure what is involved in the statement that I would need:

"the GDAL/ORG provider and use data connect which is read only and I haven't seen one for 2011 version yet."

And should I expect some kind of data or formatting loss if the client does not format/export files in a special way?

My ideal solution would be to not have to purchase another upgrade of ESRI software (my version is 2005) and to read/write all GIS data in AutoCAD. I'm fine to go with some previous version of AutoCAD.

Thanks again,

David

Message 6 of 12

I'm running Map3D 2011 on a Win7 64-Bit platform.

See the attached powerpoint and .txt files regarding attaching to personal geodatabases.

I can't post the E$RI .DLL files, however, it's not unreasonable to "hint" that if you install a free version of ArcExplorer, it's not unreasonable to assume that their software just might happen to install the requisite files that you'd have to copy.

No special formatting should be required.

Murph - I forgot that I'd gone through this routine with my first response.  Also, I sent you a message through your AU account.

Thx.

TDH

Message 7 of 12

Thanks - I'll check this out. (when my computer comes back - it's gone for a few days)

I really appreciate your help,

David

Message 8 of 12
k234234
in reply to: k234234

I got my computer back and tried the suggested OGRProvider.dll solution - it enables me to connect to the mdb file and see the layers. When I import them, however, some layers came through with details, and others lost formatting, labels, etc.

Is this about par for the course? or should I try to see what I did wrong?

By the way, the free version of ArcExplorer did not have the OGRProvider.dll, but I was able to download it from:

http://fdo.osgeo.org/content/fdo-350-downloads

The file I downloaded was this:

OGR Provider 
md5: f19076df4202ec15678bbd08de00fa09

FYI - I'm running XP Pro, 32 bit.

Thanks so much for your help,

David

Message 9 of 12

About all I can say is that you now have as much, or more experience with this than I - I'm not sure about the styling, since I"d expect connecting to GIS resources to be randomly styled, but that may be my limited experience.  Let's see if anyone else has more history & can add more to this discussion.

Sorry I can't be of much more help....

Message 10 of 12
jmurphy

David,

The formatting is not carried over between the different applications, only the geometry and attributes. It's up to the user and application to format/display/theme as they need. This includes the labeling, you need to edit the style and tell AutoCAD Map3D how you want the labels to display.  

Murph
http://Map3d.wordpress.com
Message 11 of 12
ckrismer

Hi,

I was trying to change the "providers.xml" file as instructed in the powerpoint Todd provided, but I am not being allowed to save the edited txt file.  I called my IT guy and he said to right click on the Map 3D 2011 icon and choose "run as administrator"  which I did but I'm still getting "Access Denied." 

Any ideas?

thanx

Message 12 of 12
wong-james

Sorry, Im new to this and its urgent.  But how can I import ESRI PGDB (mdb file) into AutoCAD Map 3D 2013?

Essentially I need a step by step instruction as I am new to this.

Thank you so much!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost