AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculation with complex polygons

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
cstringer80
309 Views, 1 Reply

Calculation with complex polygons

I created a complex polygon (two unconnected squares as one entry) in my shape file, then I added a simple calculation to give me area in acres. But for the complex polygon it returns a negative number. Anyone know of any problem with complex polygons and area calculations?
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
coalprpmapper
in reply to: cstringer80

I've had this problem for years with Map (currently using Map 2008), with both simple and complex polygons. I make closed polygons (property boundaries) with LWPOLYLINES, populate them with object data, then use MapPolylineToPolygon to convert them to mpolys. Map randomly creates mpolys with negative areas; doesn't matter if the original lwpolyline was drafted clockwise or counterclockwise, has internal islands or not. The only workaround I've found is to open the negative-area mpolys with MPedit and rebalance. It's a real pain if I have several hundred mpolys in a file; I've had more than half of them with negative areas, and had to do the MPedit thing with every individual mpoly to get positive areas. About to switch to Map 2010 and hoping this problem is solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost