AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COnvert Polylines to 3D Solid without loosing object data.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
maherich
7309 Views, 11 Replies

COnvert Polylines to 3D Solid without loosing object data.

Hi,

is there any possiblity to convert the Polylines containing object data to a 3D Solid so that the object are also copied?

thanks,

Martin

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: maherich

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand that in detail.

To convert a Polyline to a SOLID (with commands like _LOFT, _EXTRUDE, ...) will not transfer the object-data from the polylline to the solid. Never, at least never without development.

However there is a sysvar DELOBJ (for details look >>>here<<<) that controls if the polyline will be thrown after convertion to SOLID or will be kept in the drawing-database. And in case the poly will not be erase, you will have at least the original object and attached to that the origial ObjectData.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12
antoniovinci

Trivial workaround: instead of extruding those polylines, change their values of THICKNESS.

It won't be a true 3D (I'd call it 2.5D) but you'll keep the Object_data... 

Message 4 of 12
maherich
in reply to: antoniovinci

That's what I have done in the first step. I am creating the 3d buildings out of their ground polylines. I have to keep the object data as I need to connect the created 3d buildings to the database afterwards. The ID needed for the correction is stored in the object data.

Message 5 of 12
antoniovinci

maherich wrote:

That's what I have done in the first step

Sir, in the first  step you were talking about "3D solids" and not about "thick polylines"...

If your database contains the height of buildings, you may give automatically thickness to them, by means of a "draw query".

But remember (I repeat it for the second and last time): the final effect will be 2.5D and not true 3D. 

Message 6 of 12
maherich
in reply to: antoniovinci

My first question was about the whole problematics.

What I have already succsefully done is the "thickness" solution. But it is not what I need. I know you can make it better using some hatch with elevation but I really need those "boxes" as buildings. And the only way I have found to create them is to use the _convtosolid on the polylines with thickness. The created building solids are exactly what I need. But they lack the object data. Therefore the question...

It looks like I will write some little app to process one polyline after another so that I can also copy the object data after each conversion.

Message 7 of 12
antoniovinci

I don't believe in miracles, but if you'll really make such an application able to "inject" Object_Data in 3Dsolid, we might pay for it, sir.

By the way, when someone needs from me 3D effect with full GIS information, I convert my DWG objects in KMZ  format file, to use only in Google Earth.

Message 8 of 12

Hi,

>> but if you'll really make such an application able to "inject" Object_Data in 3Dsolid, we might pay for it, sir.

Let us know what you need. I don't see a problem to combine an extrude-command with copying the ObjectData. That's done within a view minutes.

The flexibility of such a tool may explode the dev-hours. So for example what command do you use to create 3D-Solids out of 2D-geometry holding ODs? (LOFT, REVOLVE, ...)

Second questions raises up when you not only create 3D-SOLIDS but you work with them ... so what sould happen if you subtract or intersect or do a union-modification  ==> what should happen to the OD? Should they stay on each history-part of the objects or should the OD of the first SOLID stay and from the second one should be removed/erased? Or (I'm afraid of) should both OD-records ba attached to the resulting 3D-SOLID, what's not valid out of rules of Map3D?

Give me some input (wishes, specs), the weekend comes up and there may be a few hours left 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 12

alfred.neswadba wrote:

Let us know what you need

Hold your horses, gentleman, I think this is not a commercial forum...

In the meanwhile, I suppose that Mr.Maherich would be interested by your offer.  

If you say that's an easy thing to accomplish, I will try by myself.

Vielen Dank

Message 10 of 12

Hi,

>> Hold your horses, gentleman, I think this is not a commercial forum...

Have I said anything like "you have to pay it"? As long as there are just a few minutes or it's just for fun (because of very interesting ... or I do need it for myself ... or ...) I dosometimes things without sending an invoice 😉

>> If you say that's an easy thing to accomplish, I will try by myself.

To attach the data ... yes, to handle the ODs during SOLID-modification-commands ==> exciting, but IMHO not as easy 😉

-. alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 12

hi..
I saw frm your post that you are able to understand how to convert polylines to 3D solid.
can you please give me the steps needed?
I have my 3D polylines, different shapes, now i need to convert to 3D solids as i need to export to .stl.. can u suggest some step please?
thanks heaps
iz
Message 12 of 12

I thought to solve this problem the program, transferring the OD from element to another element, which is in its area, or within the specified limits of it.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost