AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Manager?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
GPSJane
27846 Views, 4 Replies

Block Manager?

Is there a place to see all the blocks in the drawing and to remove them, rename them etc? I would like to be able to see them like in ADCENTER but I can't change them there.

Also, if a block is on my tool pallette will it be added to the drawing as a reference or is it physically stored in the drawing? What if I delete the only instance of the block in my drawing, it is still there in the file right? How do I reference a block across many drawing to save space and to update the defintiion all at once? If it is on my tool pallette is it referencing a drawing (where it originated) or is it stored separately?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: GPSJane

@GPSJane wrote:

Is there a place to see all the blocks in the drawing and to remove them, rename them etc? I would like to be able to see them like in ADCENTER but I can't change them there.

Also, if a block is on my tool pallette will it be added to the drawing as a reference or is it physically stored in the drawing? What if I delete the only instance of the block in my drawing, it is still there in the file right? How do I reference a block across many drawing to save space and to update the defintiion all at once? If it is on my tool pallette is it referencing a drawing (where it originated) or is it stored separately?

1. No not out of the box AutoCAD, There are some block manager tools/addons out there that may work that way. 

2. The block is added to the dwg when you insert it or drag/drop from the tool palette. When you erase a block you are only erasing the geometry that you see. The block definition is still in the drawing, you need to use the PURGE command to remove it completely from a dwg.

3. Use X-reference (XREF)  if you want the block/objects to be in many dwgs that you will update once and all xref of it will update when the dwgs are opened up again or reloaded. 

4. Any block on the tool palette is referencing back to the originals dwg it was created in, BUT if you change the originals dwg it will not update in any dwgs you inserted it into from the tool palette. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 5
GPSJane
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks so much! One more question; how do I xref a block that is inside another drawing? I can't quite see how that works.

Message 4 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: GPSJane

You would need to wblock that block out to it's own dwg. WBLOCK is the command. It creates a new dwg from the block you select my name or objects in your dwg.  

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 5
GPSJane
in reply to: Murph_Map

Oh I see. I will try that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost