AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch converting large number of dwg files to pdf

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
MyDigitalParadise
2810 Views, 12 Replies

Batch converting large number of dwg files to pdf

OK another Noob question likely.  I've over 400 old AutoCAD 14 files that I want to batch process into pdf's at an "C" sized landscape layout. 

I've tried tools in Adobe and CAD but can't seam to find the one that will open each file and export out a C print at the extents of each file.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I'd do, e.g. in Excel and saved as .SCR ascii file, a script like this:

filedia

_open 1.dwg

_plot ....

_close

_open 400.dwg

_plot ....

_close

filedia

Message 3 of 13

Hi,

create one pagesetup using the paperformat you like and the "PDF to DWG.pc3" and then start command _PUBLISH (>>>details<<<).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 13

That looks promising.  I'll read through it Monday and see if I can make it work.

Message 5 of 13

I've strated to read through and will follow through the help files but thus far I'm apprently not seeing something.

You mention create a one sheet file, not sure exactly where to create the settings, in model space?, Layout 1?.

I've found the dropdown in the dialog box to bring in only the modelspace (or layout 1) for each file but I'm not finding where in the process to apply the layout of a blank file with the layout or other method to set that each file is to publish to a "C" size at extents.  I will continue to read the help files but anyone that can point me to the step I'm missing I would appriciate it.

Message 6 of 13

"Create a one page setup?  I hope that that does not mean in each and every file.  As stated I'm still reading through the help files so I will post back if I figure it out.

Message 7 of 13

Hi,

>> You mention create a one sheet file

No, not a sheet file, I meant a page-setup ... and no that just have to be created once and then used for all outputs with the same page-format/settings.

>> not sure exactly where to create the settings

Start command _PAGESETUP and then "NEW", do your settings there and save it.

>> but I'm not finding where in the process to apply the layout of a blank file

When you start command _PUBLISH you can first select the files (better layouts in files) you want to publish and then assign the previously defined page-setup to them.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 13

Hello and thanks for your help.  I know I'm heading the right direction but am missing a fundamental step somewhere along the way.  I've a blank file open (advice from a friend, perhaps the wrong advice?)  in that file I've opened page setup for the model space tab.  I've set if for ANCI C and "dwg to pdf.pc3" (as opposed to adobe PDF as plotter) and saved that setup and applied it to the tab.  From there I open the publish dialog and add a small selection of my files as a test of my work.  It is at that point that I feel I'm missing the fundamental part of your advice.  I do apologise for my ignorence as I'm sorely out of practice with AutoCAD since my AutoCAD 2000 days.  I've also included screenshots of my dialogs in case that will make clear what I'm missing in how to apply the layout to all files brought into the publish dialog.  Like posted earlier these files in 98% of the time have had no layouts established as they were created in 10 & 14 some considerable time ago.  I'm familliar with applying and modifying layouts in individual files but I'm lost when attempting to applying the layout to a batch of them.

Thanks again for attempting to help me with this.  (I'm also forwarding my results to another group with a similar need.

Paul

PagesetupDialog.jpgPublishDialog.jpg

Message 9 of 13

I should also mention my settings as I'm running them is not printing to extents.  My actual CAD content is only filling 1/3 of the resultant PDFs that I get when running publish (results at a default 8.5x11). 

Message 10 of 13

Well I though I had figured one of the issues.  I saved the blank as a DWT and imported the page setup to the others in my list but while I got ANSI C sized PDF's each was blank.  Back to the help files. Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 13

OK, that seams to have done it.

So, I opened a file.  opened the page setup for the modelspace.  I applied the settings I want and specified in the properties dialog that I want it to print the extents (limits was the default and is what gave me the blank pages).  Then hit preview, found the results I wanted.  Saved out that file as a template.  That was the step I was missing, once I did that all worked fine.  In the publish dialog I selected import under the Page Setup and imported the dwt I created.  This gave me "ANSI C" as a choice as I saved it to that name in the Page setup dialog.  At that point I selected ANSI C from the dropdown and all 5 of my test files published an ANSI C PDF for each drawing at each file's extents.

Now I'll move to the larger list and see how it runs.

Thanks again for the help. 

One last question (providing all works well on the larger run) is applying the page setup to each line item in the publish dialog the only way.  It's not that big a deal but it seams that there could be a way to apply that dwt to all files added to the publish dialog either at once or when they are added.

Paul

Message 12 of 13

Hi,

>> is applying the page setup to each line item in the publish dialog the only way

Yes, you can only save the list to publish if you need to do the publishing more than once with the same files.

>> a way to apply that dwt to all files added

At least, mark all lines concurrently, then you need just one assign of the pagesetup and that's it.

Acad_Publish_PagesetupToAllLayouts_AN01.gif

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 13

Yes apparently I wasn't selecting something right as the first few times I tried to affect all of them the change did not propagate.  I tried it again yesterday afternoon and all went well with all files set to the same choice.  Thanks for all the help as I’ve finished the whole output and the results are exactly what we needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost