AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Map 3d annotation

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
korinagomez
591 Views, 15 Replies

Autocad Map 3d annotation

I have a set of data in excel. how can i annotate my map with this data, such that the map recognizes the name for example of a point and then directs this data to this point.

For example given points A and B in the map. then i have for example 3 columns of data in excel for points A and B.

Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
antoniovinci
in reply to: korinagomez

First you load the .XLS file with _MAPATTACHDB then you link the number of Autocad point to the same field in Excel, by means of the _MAPDEFINELT command.

Message 3 of 16
korinagomez

thank you for replying. when i did what you said, (mapdefinelt), there appears a define link template dialog box, i clicked some of the options for the key selection, but the values do not appear in the map..

sorry, i am really new to this.

Message 4 of 16
antoniovinci

After the _MAPATTACHDB command and loading your .XLS file, right click on the connection, then choose Properties: 

Now you should setup the ODBC driver like this: when everything is ok, you can issue _MAPDEFINELT (I recommend you to learn these powerful commands in the F1 help)...

Message 5 of 16
korinagomez
in reply to: antoniovinci

wow. thank you for replying..

a table same as my excel file appears,

here is a link of the task i was assigned. am i on the right track or is this possible with autocad map 3d. i was thinking of  making the excel my data source, and an everyday change in values will be visible through changes in the color in my map.. just like a weather map.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/GlobalMaps/view.php?d1=MYD28M

i really appreciate your help. i've been working on this for three weeks now. again thank you 🙂

Message 6 of 16
korinagomez

or based on the data, how will i annotate the map with color, such that when assigned a value, it will automatically change color.. as for the link i attached, i will be animating the drawings so as to appear like that.. but coloring now is my only problem.

thank you 🙂

Message 7 of 16
antoniovinci

I'm afraid you can't get that.

Software GIS like Map involves links to external databases as text attributes, not as dynamic source to stylize your map in realtime.

By the way, in your spreadsheet I don't see the values A-21, A-22, C-21: how did you join Autocad objects with Excel records..?

Message 8 of 16
korinagomez

do you mean linking the object to the excel data?? watch this video,after doing this, double click the object, properties ribbon will appear, scroll it down, then you'll see your excel data there..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D_Y2-89ySA

🙂

Message 9 of 16
antoniovinci

Dear Korina,

I link Autocad stuff to databases since '90 of the past century, so my question was about how YOU did that... 

Message 10 of 16
korinagomez

with regards to my question, i saw a video that is a probable solution, however whenever we click style editor from the analyze tab, it says "to edit style, you need to have a map layer".

does it need to be GIS, or map imported from sql or arcsde?? the map we have was previously made in corel draw and converted to dwg.. sorry for troubling you.

here's the link by the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ITZnrGfec0

Message 11 of 16
antoniovinci

Sorry, at work Youtube videos are blocked by firewall, so I can't see it.

Anyway, issue _MAPWSPACE and turn it on,  then in Display Manager => NEW => LAYER

This applies to my glorious Map2006, so in your version it might be different. 

Message 12 of 16
korinagomez

what exactly do you mean by join?

i placed A-21, A-22, C-21 as texts in autocad. i just linked them by loading the excel using mapattachdb, double clicked the sheet, defined the link template, clicked the link records and selected the objects. is that it??

Message 13 of 16
antoniovinci

May you attach your Excel file?

For me, join=link...
Do you speak italian, or only spanish? 

Message 14 of 16
korinagomez

i am a filipino actually, so i can only speak english 🙂

here is my excel file...

Message 15 of 16
antoniovinci

No way, lady.

As suspected, your spreadsheet does NOT contain the A-21, A-22, C-21 values, so you cannot link automatically Acad objects to Excel records.

In XXI century, we don't join them manually one-by-one, so please feed your .XLS table with those values. 

When you're done, issue the _ADEGENLINK command, and choose the "Enclosed text" linkage type.

Message 16 of 16
korinagomez

Haha. sorry about that, i am actually a chem engineering student, and autocad is not my thing..

hope you'll reply for further more questions 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost