AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

rifraf700
Message 1 of 4 (403 Views)

AutoCad Map 3d lidar bumps

403 Views, 3 Replies
09-25-2012 09:39 PM

Hi,

I am new with this point cloud thingy. I managed to get my hands on some lidar data and i am looking to build a 3d cad model of the buildings from that data. I have played around with the features of AutoCad Map 3D but i'm having some difficulties. I managed to create an index file and from there, created a 3d surface. However, instead of getting nice buildings like the one video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mprICpGtbk), i got lots of spikes. Is there a way i can somehow churn all these spikes into something that looks like a decent building. Also i need to export the 3d surface but i see that the only option is the sdf extension. Is there a way i can get a tin file?

any sort of help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rif

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 4 (394 Views)

Re: AutoCad Map 3d lidar bumps

09-25-2012 11:33 PM in reply to: rifraf700

There's no way to convert point clouds into straight buildings, 'cause a raw Lidar survey is disturbed by trees, pylons, shadows, and so on.

You could transform that bunch of bumps in a better Tin fashion (but not good-looking) e.g. by means of the opensource Meshlab, sir.

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 3 of 4 (367 Views)

09-26-2012 03:02 PM in reply to: rifraf700

Is the data classified? Look at the video at the 3:55 min timeline and on. 

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Mentor
autoMick
Message 4 of 4 (346 Views)

09-28-2012 05:36 AM in reply to: rifraf700

I think the big thing from that video is that they only used the ground strike data to create a surface (i.e. they filtered the cloud data before creating a surface from it). The details you see for the building themselves are just the raw point cloud (not actual geometry). 

Cheers

- Mick

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2014
Self-built i7-3930K, 16Gb RAM, P9X79 m/board
SSD(system), HDD(data), Win7Pro64, Quadro K4000

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community