AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad Map 3d lidar bumps

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rifraf700
650 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCad Map 3d lidar bumps

Hi,

I am new with this point cloud thingy. I managed to get my hands on some lidar data and i am looking to build a 3d cad model of the buildings from that data. I have played around with the features of AutoCad Map 3D but i'm having some difficulties. I managed to create an index file and from there, created a 3d surface. However, instead of getting nice buildings like the one video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mprICpGtbk), i got lots of spikes. Is there a way i can somehow churn all these spikes into something that looks like a decent building. Also i need to export the 3d surface but i see that the only option is the sdf extension. Is there a way i can get a tin file?

any sort of help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rif

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: rifraf700

There's no way to convert point clouds into straight buildings, 'cause a raw Lidar survey is disturbed by trees, pylons, shadows, and so on.

You could transform that bunch of bumps in a better Tin fashion (but not good-looking) e.g. by means of the opensource Meshlab, sir.

Message 3 of 4
Murph_Map

Is the data classified? Look at the video at the 3:55 min timeline and on. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 4
autoMick

I think the big thing from that video is that they only used the ground strike data to create a surface (i.e. they filtered the cloud data before creating a surface from it). The details you see for the building themselves are just the raw point cloud (not actual geometry). 

Cheers

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost