AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad Map 3D - Attach Data Source

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
klaff
655 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCad Map 3D - Attach Data Source

i have 12 base maps (transportation.dwg, utilities.dwg, etc) and each of these base maps is attached to a data source (.mdb).  when creating a new drawing and inserting these basemaps in the Task Pane by Attach Drawings & Query, i loose the connection to the data source in the new drawing

is there a way to have the datasource carry through and retain the attachment to new drawing?

also, in alot of maps we create we Xref (Transportation.dwg) and we loose the datasource in that situation too.

i'm new at this so hopefully my question makes sense.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: klaff

you'll have to save out the data source as a "layer" which in Map3D terms is different from a CAD layer.  right click on the data source in the display manager and "save as layer" then you can drag & drop the .layer file into your workspace in subsequent drawings and retain the connection and pull across the styling.  why it can't be called "GIS data pointer" versus layer, dunno but it does afford more confusion 😉

Does this help?

Message 3 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: thepworth

oh, an no you can't pull through GIS data with xrefs 😞

just not programmed that way

Message 4 of 13
klaff

thanks for your time...i'll figure all this out someday:smileyindifferent :

Message 5 of 13
klaff

unless i'm reading your response incorrectly, you think i'm working on these maps in ArcMap.  my coworkers do not know how to use ArcMap so i'm stuck having these remain working AutoCAD 3D drawings.  i am viewing the drawing in AutoCAD 3D and am in the Task Pane.

(if I right click on the datasource in AutoCad 3D it doesn't give me the option to save as a layer file and drag & drop)

the datasource is attached in the original basemaps but everytime we start a new drawing from scratch and attached a basemap that datasource connection gets lost.

this is proabably getting very confusing :smileyfrustrated :

if you have a little extra time and any advise to send my way, it would be very appreciated!!

thanks for your time!

katie

Message 6 of 13
klaff

clarification to my last reply..."everytime we start a new drawing from scratch in AutoCad"...we loose the datasource connection shown in the Task Pane.

Message 7 of 13
thepworth

no worries,  I'm talking Map3D/Civil3D (which is built around the MAP core)...

once you connect to GIS data (different from attaching source drawings), if you right click on the GIS "layer" in display manager, there is an option about 1/2 way down the flyout menu for "save layer".  this is what I'm refering to.  The resulting file is like a .xml file that saves the layer pathing/connection and any styling for visual appearance.  

then, you can drag this file from windows explorer into your new drawing workspace (or display manager, it's been a while for me on this) and it will re-establish the connection and use the same styling you had when saving the layer.

does this help?

Message 8 of 13
Murph_Map

Todd, I read it as the OP is using Data Source not Data Connect, old school database connections.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 13
Murph_Map

You need to connect to the same database that the dwg that you attach to in the new dwg. Then when you query the data should be availalbe. It worked in the old days (prior to FDO) that way. I haven't triedit in years but should still be working that way.

Murph
Message 10 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: Murph_Map

so, then the better way would be to keep a .txt file of connection strings for DB connections?

still learning myself....

Thanks, Murph!

Message 11 of 13
Murph_Map

@thepworth wrote:

so, then the better way would be to keep a .txt file of connection strings for DB connections?

still learning myself....

Thanks, Murph!

The udl file get created when you connect to a data source from the TASK PANE Explorer tab or use DBCONNECT or

MAPCONFIGDB. This is for data connected/attached to dwg objects not geospatial features (FDO).
All the OP needs to do is reconnect to it when they attach (ADEDRAWINGS) the dwgs. Most time you can reconnect just by double clicking on it, the data source, in the task pane.
Murph
Message 12 of 13
klaff

you're all the best for trying to help.  i am so impressed with the rsponses...this is my first time using this group.

Clearly I need to take a formal training class!

Yes...I guess I am "old school"...i am the only one in the office teaching myself this stuff, so i feel like i am by myself on an island.

I am, for the most part, following what you've all said and am fumbling my way through it.

I will respond soon and let you know what I got to work....or if I'm still stuck 🙂

thanks again!!!!!!!

Message 13 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: Murph_Map

To "jump start" your learning - look for a copy of Alex Penney's book "AutoCAD Map3D 20xx - A Practical Guide" as about as good of a resource as you can get w/o going for fully customized training.

Best of luck!

TdH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost