AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attribute order when inserting a drawing as a block

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
BigDumbWeirdo
641 Views, 4 Replies

Attribute order when inserting a drawing as a block

I'm trying to build a routine for my job to insert a block which consists of 3 single line variable attributes in a specific order. I need to be able to do this on many different drawings, and I would like to share this ability with my coworkers. Using the DesignCenter is not an option. In order to do this, I saved a drawing which consisted of the three attributes in the layout in which I need them to appear, however the order in which it prompts me to enter them is reversed. I already know how to set the order of attributes in an EXISTING block definition using the BATTMAN command, but that doesn't help me, as every time I run the routine again, I'm redefining the block definition. Does anyone know a way of fixing this?

I'm not sure if it's important to know this, but the routine consists of a button with the following macro:

(command "-insert" "c:/folder/drawing.dwg" (getpoint "\nChoose Insertion Point: ") (* (getvar "ltscale") 2) (* (getvar "ltscale") 2) "0");

EDIT: It works perfectly fine on my home computer, though my home computer runs an older version of acad.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: BigDumbWeirdo

Versions?

Are these dwg you inserting it into new dwgs or current dwgs? Did you copy the same block dwg to your home PC or recreate it on the home pc?

The order that the attributes display are the order that they were created in the dwg or selected in the block definition.

What is the block of or used for? If it's a title block or something like it then I would look at using a template for the layout or have the block defined in the dwg template you use.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 5
BigDumbWeirdo
in reply to: Murph_Map

At work I use AutoCad Map 3D 2009, at home I have AutoCad 2007.

The drawings are both new and existing ones. Either way, they are opened or created through a proprietary dialog box which accesses a network database I can't access directly (which eliminates the possibility of defining the block within the template). Drawings are copied to the computer after being created, and are then published back to the database after being completed.

I recreated it at home, by following the same steps and creating the attributes in the same order.

The order in which I created them was the same for both, and the order in which I want them prompted for.

No, it's not a title bock. It's a tag, identifying objects in the drawing. I can't go into much detail because it involves some proprietary information, but  it's an alternate version of a tag, which for a number of reasons can't be a part of the same block as the object.

@Anonymous wrote:

Versions?

Are these dwg you inserting it into new dwgs or current dwgs? Did you copy the same block dwg to your home PC or recreate it on the home pc?

The order that the attributes display are the order that they were created in the dwg or selected in the block definition.

What is the block of or used for? If it's a title block or something like it then I would look at using a template for the layout or have the block defined in the dwg template you use.

Message 4 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: BigDumbWeirdo

I would try to recreate the block and see if it overwrites the original one, or test by creating a new block with a different name with creating the attributes in the order you need them. If that still ha them out of order then I would think it's the  proprietary dialog box application you are using that is messing it up. Its there any chance that the first time you created the block the order was not correct and you changed/edit them? If so then I would say the file did not get rewritten or saved as you changed it.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 5
BigDumbWeirdo
in reply to: Murph_Map

I tried recreating the block and it worked, thanks.

I must have messed up the order somehow the first time I made it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost