AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

PaisteAbuser
Message 11 of 18 (465 Views)

Re: ArcGIS .shp files using MAP 3d 2013

08-28-2012 08:05 AM in reply to: PaisteAbuser
Spoiler

Forgot to ask,

What is FDO that you keep referring to? Is that the process of importing shp files through the task pane manager?

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 12 of 18 (460 Views)

08-28-2012 09:24 AM in reply to: PaisteAbuser

FDO = _MAPCONNECT command.

You use it when you wanna only link to external resources without loading phisically in your drawing (like XREF).

PaisteAbuser
Message 13 of 18 (451 Views)

08-28-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: PaisteAbuser

I have never used Xref's. My understanding of xref's is a big pain. I know alot of old co-workers who don't like working like that. When there is 30 people using xref's, things can get out of control fairly quickly, correct?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 14 of 18 (441 Views)

08-29-2012 12:31 AM in reply to: PaisteAbuser

Hi,

ok, other words:

If you use _MAPIMPORT ==> the content of the shape is COPIED into your current drawing. The geometry of the shape will get polylines (or points pr blocks), the attributive data will be attached to the polylines/points/blocks as "object-data" (>>>details<<<). The result is, if you modify now e.g. a polyline-object the modification is just done in the drawing, the SHP does not recognize anything of that any more.

Using _MAPCONNECT (or with other words the FDO-technology built into Map3D, >>>www.osgeo.org<<<) to get the SHP visualized in your current drawing IS NOT A COPY, it's referenced. And that means if you modify any geometry or attributive data every modification you do is done in the original file/in the SHP. If you save your DWG it does not save the geometry from the SHP, it just saves "I have to show the file C:\TEMP\XX.shp" (the reference to the file).

To be honest, Map3D has the aibility to save the geometry of a referenced SHP, e.g. when using off-line mode. But that is just written for completeness, I hope that does not confuse you now.

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
PaisteAbuser
Message 15 of 18 (402 Views)

09-07-2012 07:19 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

My understanding is that if using the FDO connect feature to access the shape files allows me to change the content in the file.  Is this some what dangerous??  There is a GIS department here that uses the shape files in a data base to view large areas of Western Canada. If I am to change any of the information in the shape files will that be viewed by the GIS department? They use the files more then I do and I don't want that department on my back for making a mess of things.

Thanks,

M

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 16 of 18 (383 Views)

09-08-2012 10:38 AM in reply to: PaisteAbuser

Hi,

>> [...] allows me to change the content in the file.  Is this some what dangerous??

No, as long as you take care of the IDX-file (should be deleted if the product changes that uses the SHP-data. So if the SHP were opend with ArcGIS then delete the IDX before you start to use that with Map3D, and vice versa.

>> If I am to change any of the information in the shape files will that be viewed by the GIS department?

If you change the content of a file then others will see the new content if they open the file then. That is valid for word-files in the same way as it is for SHP-files. If I don't want to change their data I copy the data first and work on the copied content.

But maybe I don't understand the question?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
PaisteAbuser
Message 17 of 18 (356 Views)

09-11-2012 09:27 AM in reply to: PaisteAbuser

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have decided to move on and better myself with a new employer. The one I have at the moment isnt cutting it. No help, no professionalism, very amatuer. I noticed there was something wrong with this place when it took me 3 months to get a licenced version of cad, Also last week I witnessed plans being trimmed on the floor. (the 2mm gap between tiles on the floor makes a wonderful straight edge for an open pair of scicorrs to guide on)

I'll be back with new and improved questions, I'm sure of it.

Thanks!

M

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 18 of 18 (348 Views)

09-11-2012 03:00 PM in reply to: PaisteAbuser

PaisteAbuser wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have decided to move on and better myself with a new employer. The one I have at the moment isnt cutting it. No help, no professionalism, very amatuer. I noticed there was something wrong with this place when it took me 3 months to get a licenced version of cad, Also last week I witnessed plans being trimmed on the floor. (the 2mm gap between tiles on the floor makes a wonderful straight edge for an open pair of scicorrs to guide on)

I'll be back with new and improved questions, I'm sure of it.

Thanks!

M

Been there and did the same thing. Hate not being in CAD or GIS but a person has to feel good about where they work at.  Good Luck.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community