AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
KansasCAD
Message 1 of 2 (423 Views)

Annotation of object data

423 Views, 1 Replies
04-05-2012 06:50 AM

Hello,

I am working on a county map that will eventually have the ADT's (Average Daily Traffic) as a number above or near to each road.  Right now I am "naming" all of our roads with object data. I need a map that actually shows the name of each road so that we can double check the data for the counts and make sure each count has a unique name. After I had used Mapexport to a shape file, then datalinked and brought the shp file back in.  I have tried to set up a style, but when a road is short, it doesn't put any label. And when I get to a "cluttered area" some of the labels need to be moved slightly so that they can be read. 

So then I tried to just annotate the linework with the object data.  I defined a template, block with attribute, and used Mapanninsert, and got the name of each road segment.  I used the .ANGLE to make the annotation be rotated along the vertical roads.  This kind of worked, although about half of them were rotated 180 from when I wanted them because the original line work was drawn from top to bottom. So I spent some time rotating them, and moving the ones that were overlapping so they could be read.  Everything was fine until I ran across a couple that I had not named.  I attached the object data, named the road, and wondered how to update that block with the new name.  I clicked on the "Update Annotation" button and it did update that block with the new name, it also reset ALL of the blocks that I had rotated and moved.  I did use the retain option, but it still reset all of the blocks.  HELP, What else can I try, or what did I do wrong?

I am not an everyday user of Map.  I have used Autocad, DCA, Softdesk, Land Desktop, and Civil 3D from the late 1980's but am new to MAP.

Using Civil 3D Ver. 2012  64bit on Windows 7

Thanks,

Daryl

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 2 of 2 (400 Views)

Re: Annotation of object data

04-05-2012 02:48 PM in reply to: KansasCAD

You need to use the Map annonation refresh " _mapannrefresh" instead and use the string option.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.