AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A way to combine polygons, with separations, to be selected as one?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gkjxn
1534 Views, 5 Replies

A way to combine polygons, with separations, to be selected as one?

Our polygons are all parcels/tracts of land, forming a map of an area. We attach an object data field to each polygon with a tract number in the field we've attached. Some polygons are separated by a road running through them, so they have the same tract number in the field. All of these polygons are on the same layer. To make the shape file we make sure all of the polygons are closed, then use the "convert polylines to polygons" to double check and make sure every polygon is closed. We then  go to "Map Drafting-->Export" select the layer and data field we want to export, select all from that layer, and export them as a shape file.

Our client then takes the databasefile (dbf) and they can take that file and bring it into excel and it will list all of the individual polygons by its feature id and have it's corresponding tract number from the object data. But the tracts with the same tract number are being listed twice which makes work, that they do with the file further down the line, difficult. So all we need to be able to do is merge/link polygons, that have the same tract number.

It seems like my co-worker and I have tried every command possible to do what we need, but haven't had any luck.  Using the Region, then Union commands has been the closest to what we need, but it removes the object data, which we can reattach, but the two shapes are no longer polygons, which makes it unusable for us.

It may not be possible, but I just thought I'd ask and see if there is something we haven't tried.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
parkr4st
in reply to: gkjxn

given lets say 6 polygons 1,2,3,4,5 & 6    1&2 tract A, 3 & 4 tract B, 5 tract C, 6 Tract D

does your dbf have six records combos 1a, 2a, 3b, 4b, 5c,6d  or you say twice  as  1a,1a, 2a,2a, 3b,3b,4b,4b, 5c,6d

Message 3 of 6
gkjxn
in reply to: parkr4st

It would list six. 1 for each individual poly.

Using your example, what we are looking for is a way to make them list as Tract A, Tract B, etc. 

Being able to combine 1 and 2 in a way to have them (two tracts with identical object data) listed in the dbf as being one (not having duplicate entries)

Message 4 of 6
parkr4st

Merge Features.  Did you try that?

Message 5 of 6
gkjxn
in reply to: parkr4st

No, I haven't. Where is that command?

Message 6 of 6
parkr4st

MAPFEATUREMERGE 

on the command line MAPF or -MAPF will give the choice of commands to work with editing features

also available Feature Edit tab on ribbon; Merge Feature

MAPFEATUREEDITOPTIONS should be set first

Split and Merge rules are on the option menu bottom of the data table.

Help explains it.

dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost